Go Back   The Finance Forums > General Forums > General Chat

General Chat General chat and discussion away from the finance topics.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:13 AM

Cool Paradise Papers more boring than Brexit?

There was a good headline in the Telegraph on Monday from Richard Dyson: Dont we all invest through a Cayman Island tax haven these days?. If you contribute to an Isa, if youre building up a pension, if you pay into an endowment policy or other kinds of investment plans, if you give to charities, your money will be spread across numerous different portfolios, buying thousands of different individual investments based all around the world, points out Dyson. Its just the more money youve got, the more you can legally shield from the taxman.

I think weve established that tax regimes will always play catch-up with technology and, perhaps, reality. After all, while innovation improves our lives, taxation is a ham-fisted and inefficient way to fund things we need, and other things a small group of people think we should need.

I found myself wondering how journalists found the time to accurately sift through the 13m documents, before discovering that its thanks to a Swedish big data startup called Neo4j, which counts Nasa and Ebay among its clients and was responsible for sifting through the Panama Papers.

Id be more concerned about new privacy and data laws than the wet dream that is a global tax regime.

Old Sponsors