Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Credit Cards

Credit Cards Discuss credit cards - user experiences, credit card rates, and which companies offer the best credit card.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:09 PM

Default need advance on credit card

i just got my credit score , it is 737 now.
i want to apply a credit card. i am wondering if it is a good time to apply one.
i have 2 credit card. one citi with 6400 cl and no yearly fee and pretty good rate. another one is hsbc with 300cl and yearly fee of $39. i am going to close the hsbc account. and get another better credit card.
anybody know which credit i should apply? i would like to get something with few k cl and low rate.

any advance would help.

Thanks

Old Sponsors
Old 10-15-2010, 03:58 AM

Default Re: need advance on credit card

well if you have been particular with the payments in both the cases then you can easily get a credit card of your choice at attractive rates. do not close that credit card which is the oldest and where your payment has been regular.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:35 AM

if you already got 2 credit cards my advise is to leave it there, you don't need a lot of credit cards in you hand. I think that is enough.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:49 PM

Hi,
I have 2 credit cards on my credit report that I've never used. I've heard that the less credit you have available the higher your score will be (less cards/credit to max out on). But I've also heard that if you close accounts it lowers your score. Should I close them?

Old 11-11-2010, 09:46 PM

No don't close them. However, if you want to maintain them, make a small purchase on them every now and then and pay the bill in full when it comes.

Some banks are closing accounts due to inactivity. That hurts your score as much as if you close them yourself.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:07 AM

Yes I agree, you should keep them. You need not use it frequently, make little purchase and pay them on time. This is some thing very vital to keep your credit score healthy. Some thing so important when you would want to buy a house and would need a mortgage.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adia View Post
if you already got 2 credit cards my advise is to leave it there, you don't need a lot of credit cards in you hand. I think that is enough.
True that. It is very tempting to have several credit cards that you can use anytime you wanted. But problems would start when the bills start to arrive. Best to keep those credit cards at bay.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:07 PM

Two credit cards are enough. At times you don't realize that the borrower becomes servant to the lender. The lender dictates when, where and how payments are handled concerning debt and when the payments have to be made you (the servant) just make the payments or chance your credit rating being ruined if you don't. Also, you borrow against future income and you never know what the future holds. You could find yourself in some catastrophic situation that you have no control over. What happens to your future income and your debt? So, understand that credit has to be handled with extreme care. Don't get yourself overextended and always make payments on time. Credit can either be your friend or your enemy.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:36 AM

Why would you want more credit cards?!!? Keep what you have - keep paying those off and building credit with the ones you have! Why add another to the list? And plus, I hear it's bad to cancel credit cards....??

Old 02-28-2011, 02:58 PM

Two credit cards for now is enough to maintain your good credit rating. Unless there is a valid reason do not apply for any more credit cards. Paying the fee on the HSBC card is unfortunate. Have you talked to them about it?

RichS CFP(r)
www.insimplelanguage.com

Old 03-03-2011, 09:05 PM

please,kindly tell me more about credit card.what is't meant 4.how obtain it.

Old Sponsors
Old 03-14-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusxo4 View Post
please,kindly tell me more about credit card.what is't meant 4.how obtain it.
It is obtained through application from banks. And it is a very very very tempting plastic card! One must know how to use it responsibly otherwise, you will lose it, and just like before you won't have a CC but rather a big chunk of debt!

Old 03-29-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphegermain View Post
It is obtained through application from banks. And it is a very very very tempting plastic card! One must know how to use it responsibly otherwise, you will lose it, and just like before you won't have a CC but rather a big chunk of debt!
If i am going to apply a credit card online, would it be safe compared when i walk in a bank and do the application process?