Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Debt

Debt Discussions about debt and how to deal with debt.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:11 AM

Default Wife left me broke! Need good advice!

I've had a rough 10 days to say the least. A little over a week ago I caught my wife cheating. She left the martial property and over the course of 4 days we tried to come to a civil agreement towards custody and what not. Half way through the 4th day she decided to play the PFA card which kicked me out of the house and took away my kids. On top of that she moved in her boyfriend the very day I was kicked out. IF that wasn't enough, I always trusted my wife with the finances (personal and business). When I thought we should've had $20,000+ in the bank it turns out it was down to the last $1,000. Which is weird since I just inherited $10,000 back in April and one of our big wholesalers just paid us $5,000 in June. I'm not sure what she did with all the money but that's a story for another day.
In addition to all of this, I thought I only had 2 credit cards in my name but after doing a credit check it turns out I have 6 credit cards (4 I knew nothing about). I also have a used car that has really high payments but still has two years to go before getting paid off. I'm guessing my wife bought this car and rolled over the debt from the old car.
All together I have $120,000 in debt or so.... $103,000 of that is for our house which appraises at $197,000. What's the best way to consolidate all these credit cards and auto loan? Is there anything I can do about these credit cards I didn't know about?

Old Sponsors
Old 09-16-2015, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Wife left me broke! Need good advice!

Sell the marital home and split the worth, pay off as much debt as possible.

Do not, repeat, do not give her the home.

(?) Report her for credit card fraud/identity theft. (?)

I don't see how your instincts would tell you to give all the responsibility of finances to your wife, you made alot of really "beta" mistakes.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:09 PM

Just commenting because I'm curious if you found a solution to this problem.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:31 AM

I agree, sell the house and split the money. I'm assuming you're American, so unless there are some crazy circumstances that you're not revealing here it should be a no brainer to get the marital assets split evenly.

As for the rest, that sounds like it would take a lawsuit to settle which might not be worth the long term expense.

Sell the house, get half the money, pay off as much debt as you can, focus on work, and save save save.

Remember, SUCCESS is the best revenge. Work hard and you'll rebound nicely in a couple years. Good luck !

Old 03-09-2016, 11:13 AM

Just commenting because I'm curious if you found a solution to this problem,,me too.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:56 AM

You might be able to threaten a criminal suit for fraud (could lead to jail time) and use this as leverage to have her claim responsibility for the debt.