Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Banks

Banks Banks and banking - high street banks and online banks, personal accounts, and savings accounts.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:15 AM

Default I am looking to open a bank account for my son who has entered college. Any good bank

I am looking to open a bank account for my son who has entered college. Any good banks I should consider?

Old Sponsors
Old 08-29-2017, 06:21 AM

Default Re: I am looking to open a bank account for my son who has entered college. Any good

Opening a bank account for your children is a wise step with their college life commencing. There are many banks you can consider for opening an account. You should reach out to Emirates Islamic Bank who offer a series of features and benefits with the account including student debit and prepaid card that would be useful.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:50 PM

Default Re: I am looking to open a bank account for my son who has entered college. Any good

There isn’t a huge variety in rewards programs for student credit cards like there is for regular credit cards but there are key differences between them. Look out for these things:

Low long term interest rate – As a student life is rocky and there’s a chance your credit card will become your financial safety net at some point. Cards with an initial 0% purchase interest period may be tempting but their interest rates will become quite high — often over 19%–when the intro period is up. Try to find a card with 17% or lower APR.
No annual fee – Cards with annual fees are really only useful when they’re high end rewards cards that most students don’t have a high enough credit score for anyway. Your student credit card should have no annual fee whatsoever.
Rewards program – Many student cards don’t have a rewards program at all but you should always go for one that does. It will take you a while to earn any significant rewards with most programs offered to students but they can be quite impressive when it comes time to collect. The Capital One Student Credit Card offers the best rewards program for students, offering you 1.25% cash back on all purchases in any month where you pay on time.
Fee schedule – Some student credit cards allow you to pick the date your payment is required each month.
Financial tools – A few student credit cards give you access to financial tools that help you break down your budget and examine your spending. The Capital One Student Credit Card offers access to several financial tools and constant free access to your credit report.
Insurance & warranties – A good student credit card will offer fraud protection and many offer warranties on specific types of products purchased with the card
Distributor – You might not care right now who gives you a credit card as long as it comes with good rewards but you will care when you go into a store and they don’t take your credit card. You can use a Visa or MasterCard pretty much anywhere but some stores won’t accept other cards, even from popular companies like American Express. Check with stores on campus to see what they accept.
Along with the Capital One Student Credit Card some of the best student credit cards are the Discover Student Credit Card and the Wells Fargo Student Credit Card, both of which offer their own cash back programs.

Student credit cards can be excellent financial tools but in the end only you can decide whether or not you should have one.