Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Fraud & Scams

Fraud & Scams Discussion about how to detect and avoid fraud, investment schemes, internet scams, consumer ripoffs, con jobs, forex scams and identity theft.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:47 PM

Default What are the Signs of a Scam?

What tips and tricks do you have to spot a scam? What signs do you look for?

Old Sponsors
Old 07-19-2011, 05:05 PM

Default Re: What are the Signs of a Scam?

I'm discussing scams on the internet and real life.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:35 PM

There are so many different types of scams, but generally if it sounds too good to be true, it isn't. Get rich quick, act immediately for a sensational deal, and not putting promises and guarantees in writing are big stop signs for me.

Never buy anything if you're solicited on the phone. Also, I'm still shocked that Bernie Madoff's clients never questioned his "guaranteed 12%" (I think that was it) returns. Stocks are never guaranteed.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:07 PM

Unfortunately, a good scam artist is smart enough to not make it too good to be true. If they are really smart they promise reasonable rates of return and sound very trustworthy. That being said there are plenty of honest people around.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 AM

ohh, most of them ask upfront fees. So, never pay upfront.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:01 PM

if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

always check out the people behind the deal....

Old 11-01-2011, 04:31 PM

The best tip to identify a scam is to see if you can get a live person on the phone, or see if the company actually has a real office. Many sites out there won't even post their contact information except through e-mail. Guarantees in finance are not only suspicious, they are fraudulent. When you hear that word, run in the opposite direction. Also the gov website, at the ftc . gov has plenty of information for consumers about what to be on the look out for. Always be ware of website that don't use encryption on their form pages where you put your personal information. It's funny I don't have enough posts to place the actual website.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:30 AM

One of the sign probably is high commision if you recruit downline!!!

Old 11-28-2011, 09:19 PM

I Joined A Program Months Back Which I Was Sure Was a Scam

ThankFully It Is Paying And I Am Now Well In Profit

Send Me Message For details

Old 11-11-2012, 10:20 PM

If the offer seems too good to be true, then it is most probably a scam. It is best to do your research about the company before investing your hard-earned money on it.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 AM

Scams are now extremely prevalent in the internet world. With all the people being able to transact online, pay online and work online, scammers are developing new ways to scam people as well. Here are the top scam warning signs:

There are numerous fake job scams because of the booming online job industry. One way to tell that it is a scam is when you have to click on another site to submit your information. These sites are more probably pitch sites for appealing jobs but in reality, there are no jobs.

Scammers try to involve themselves with those working online by telling them that they are hired and they will get paid on a weekly basis. Then, they send you another email saying that there has been a mistake and they have sent you more. They will ask you to wire the money back to them while you will start receiving checks. You wire the money, and you are left with nothing but a bounced check.

Be wary of ads posted in the internet for free. These are sites that make you provide your information number in exchange for the download. However, after you have submitted your information, nothing downloads and you have already given the site your information.

Old Sponsors
Old 02-27-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyk View Post
Scams are now extremely prevalent in the internet world. With all the people being able to transact online, pay online and work online, scammers are developing new ways to scam people as well. Here are the top scam warning signs:

There are numerous fake job scams because of the booming online job industry. One way to tell that it is a scam is when you have to click on another site to submit your information. These sites are more probably pitch sites for appealing jobs but in reality, there are no jobs.

Scammers try to involve themselves with those working online by telling them that they are hired and they will get paid on a weekly basis. Then, they send you another email saying that there has been a mistake and they have sent you more. They will ask you to wire the money back to them while you will start receiving checks. You wire the money, and you are left with nothing but a bounced check.

Be wary of ads posted in the internet for free. These are sites that make you provide your information number in exchange for the download. However, after you have submitted your information, nothing downloads and you have already given the site your information.
Excellent points. It's very difficult to tell when something is a scam, but these are some good tips.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:59 PM

If someone asks either for my personal information or financial info ... I run. Scam alert.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:04 PM

Speaking of scams, foreign country scams are the ones I am most careful about. No legal protection there.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:09 PM

Signs of scams are:-
- Didn't get your answers directly.
- Using pressure tactics to get you and your money.
- No contact information is given by them even upon request.
- If you get scholarship without applying for it.