Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Credit Ratings

Credit Ratings Issues of credit ratings and credit scoring here.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:59 PM

Default Credit Report has unknown credit cards

Hey,
I just used annualcreditreport.com to get my free yearly credit report. The report showed two the two lines of credit which I actually have as well as two lines of credit which I have never had. One is an American express credit card from Texas and the other is a Bank of America card from North Carolina. I have never been to either of these places and I certainly haven't opened accounts in those states. Both of these credit cards were paid off and looked to be in more or less good shape. I'm very nervous though.

Has my identity been stolen? Where could these accounts have come from?

The cards showed up on reports from 2 of the 3 reporting companies. I submitted a dispute with TransUnion and then my account got locked and I couldn't check the third report.

Old Sponsors
Old 05-13-2011, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Credit Report has unknown credit cards

Did you go for a balance transfer for any other card? Anyways, you have the right to get your debt validated.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:43 PM

I would make sure that you get on the phone and actually talk to a real person at one of the credit bureaus that had the wrong information. There could be a mistake by one of the bureaus or something like that. I would not jump to the conclusion that your identity has been stolen just yet, but make sure you get someone on the phone to work this out.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:00 PM

I had this happen the first time I checked my credit and called and they were very understanding. I actually had credit showing before I was born. They took all my information and took care of it with no problem. I definitely agree that calling and talking to someone would be a plus rather than just sending the information in if you have concerns.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:02 PM

You do need to speak with the bureaus. If you are certain that the credit cards are not yours you could file a dispute as well but first make sure that the mistake is genuine.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:25 AM

Its good practice to regularly review your three bureau credit report to see what is on it. Sometimes an account will have a different name than you expect, leading you to believe there’s an error. For instance, a store credit card may appear with the name of the bank that underwrites it, instead of the store’s name. If there are clearly erroneous entries, identifying them is the first step towards correcting them. Review your credit report carefully and make sure all the accounts are accurate. If applicable, note any accounts that you don’t recognize.