Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Credit Ratings

Credit Ratings Issues of credit ratings and credit scoring here.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:04 PM

Default Will "Domestic Partner" affect My Credit Score?

I have a FICO score of around 800. My Significant Other does not know her score, but her report shows several liens, unpaid cards, etc. Her Ex husband, while they were still married, decided he wouldn't pay taxes, credit cards or doctors (but he kept assuring her he paid them, even signing her name to checks & amended tax returns - that she did not know about. That is a totally different subject, of course) All of those obligations were Joint.
She is about to move in with me. We will not be getting married. Will her credit history ever have any effect on mine?
What can I do to assure it doesn't?

Old Sponsors
Old 07-03-2009, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Will "Domestic Partner" affect My Credit Score?

If you were to get married and lived in a state that recognizes married domestic partners, then I'm sure it could. But, even if you do not get married, the only way her credit could affect yours is if you were a co-signer of say a loan (car, mortgage, business, ect), or jointly ventured into credit cards or other debt obligations with her.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:27 AM

There are states that recognize married domestic partners, if you live in one of those states and someday decide to get married, then that would entirely affect your credit score. But since you stated that you are not going to be married to her, the only way that her credit can affect yours is if you co-sign for any of the loans or any financial responsibilities that she might apply for. These could be car loans, home loans or joint credit and debit card accounts. If there is a need for you to be involved with her financial obligations, I suggest that you conduct a credit check regularly so you can keep yourself updated about the effect of her financial activities on your credit score.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:28 AM

If your domestic partner has bad credit, and you and you apply for credit together, or put your D.P.'s name on your credit accounts, it can have a very substantial effect on your credit score. If you haven't registered your D.P. yet, you can enter into a "pre-partnership" agreement, like pre-nuptial agreement, which may serve to protect your credit.