Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Credit Ratings

Credit Ratings Issues of credit ratings and credit scoring here.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:54 AM

Angry My sister stole my identity - now my credit history is crap

Here's my question,
My sister used my identity to take out several loans and 5 credit cards over the past 3 years.

I found out last week and paid off the loans, and the creditors claim they will take it off the 7 year bad listing on my credit report.

I can't send my sister to jail. I would be hurting her childing who have no where to go. I have a 1 bedroom apartment, I can't house them in that. And now that i'm broke from paying her dept, I couldn't afford to house them.

Anyways, the creditors have been really nice to me and kinda feel sorry for me. They are aware of my situation, they have spoken to my sister as well as me.

They promise me that it won't stay on my credit report for 7 years. What kind of assurance do I need to make that happen???

THanks,
Jennifer

Old Sponsors
Old 05-06-2007, 11:02 AM

Default Re: My sister stole my identity - now my credit history is crap

Anytime you are working with creditors to clean up debt or making changes to your account status, get the agreement in writting before you send the check/payoff. That payment is really your only bargaining tool and once they have the cash they have no motivation to do what they promissed. You might expect them to do as they agreed, but often it doesn't happen. Another problem is that accounts are constantly being sold from one agency to another and without proof of an agreement, you may be starting the process over from the begining. Contact them now and see if they will put it in writting before they forget.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:17 PM

I'm curious - did your sister also have access to your bank account??

Simply that I should expect she'd have to sign up payment details. If your bank account details, then you simply dispute the first payment once presented and contact the credit companies about the false signup.

2c.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:44 AM

See if you can't get your SSN changed too.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:44 AM

I know this is hard for you, but the only way to restore your stolen identity and credit history is to file charges against her. If you turn her in and there is evidence that you can provide, you can clear the unauthorized purchases made and loans taken out and you can start a new with your credit history. But since you couldn’t send your sister to jail, it was very wise of you to discuss your situation with your creditors and lenders. Your determination to pay will make them cooperate with your financial situation however they do not have power over what is going to be shown on your credit report and how long they would stay there.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
That payment is really your only bargaining tool and once they have the cash they have no motivation to do what they promised. You might expect them to do as they agreed, but often it doesn't happen. Another problem is that accounts are constantly being sold from one agency to another and without proof of an agreement, you may be starting the process over from the begining. Contact them now and see if they will put it in writting before they forget.
I agree with Dru
There are many people suffering from this issue that they started to pay the debt to one agency in hope that that their credit score will become clean but the agency got merged or sold to other agency then they file a case or send a baliff for not paying off the debt.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:09 PM

Attention!!!
This is BAKAR LOAN FIRMS
If you need a loan for personal business, or you need loan to clear out all your bills kindly contact our email here (bakarloanfirms@gmail.com)
for more information.
For your information, our company give out loan at 3% interest rate,we also give loans ranging from $10,000 to $200,000 at a very reasonable repayment plan. if you are interested kindly get back to us immediately to get done with your loan transfer approval documents.
Contact us via (bakarloanfirms@gmail.com)

Do not hesitate to apply.

BAKARLOANFIRMS

Old 02-26-2016, 01:30 AM

Any promises they make are only promises until you have it in writing. There are usually a lot of things you can do to get your record clean quicker than 7 years. Research all your options and be diligent.