Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Debt

Debt Discussions about debt and how to deal with debt.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:20 PM

Default My situation is very complicated and I am not sure what to do

Here is the situation. About four years ago, I moved to Europe. I had three credit cards in American with two different companies..only because two of my credit cards were sold to another company from my original company....while they were current.

Anyway, early last year, I started having financial difficulties. I called the company whom I had two credit cards with and told them about my financial situation. I was told" Well pay what ever you can". They even modified my log in page on their website so I could make payments of less than the minimum amount due which I couldn't do before. So I never missed a payment after that... I just payed them what I could like instructed. I got a call from them about four months latter telling me that I was not meeting the minimum payments. I explained to them what I was told previously and gave the name of the agent I was dealing with. I was told "Well she shouldn't have told you that" and I was told that I had to start making the minimum payments. I told the man that I could not and he told me to at least increase my payments to a certain amount. I did that.

I went to the website one day last year in the summer in Believe to pay my bills and my accounts were gone!...I called the company and was told that they had been passed to collections.

I was told that the Collection Agency would contact me. Finally, I did get a call from a collections agency and I arranged payment with them for one of my accounts. Evidently, the creditor had sent my two accounts to two different collections agencies. I never did get a call on the other account. I called the creditor back and explained that I had been contacted by a CA on one of my accounts and was making payments but that I had not heard from the other. The woman told me that she didn't know who my other account had been given too and gave me three numbers of three different collection agencies to call.

The first two companies said that they had not been given my account. The third company took down my information and set me up so I could make payments. But none of the payments were accepted by the company......they just never accepted them. I called them back and was told that they didn't have my account.

Now the other collections agency that I was making payments too emailed me at the end of last year. I was told that the payments I was making were not good enough and they wanted more...Now I was living in Europe and they knew that so they were not rude, they were not threatening in anyway. The only threat they gave me was that if I couldn't increase the payments, the creditor might recall my account from them.

I so I increased my payments with them..even though I couldn't really afford it. Everything went Ok with that until July or August of this year. I submitted my payment to the CA and was contacted by them and was told it was returned by my bank. I checked with my Bank and no such payment had even been attempted on my account. I told the CA this, they tried again and still nothing. I told the CA that the money was there and that the CA must be making an error some where. They checked and told me that they had made an error and that the payment was now accepted.

The same thing just happened in November..I had the money in my account to pay them, I sent in my payment to them and was sent my confirmation of payment as an email attachment...I never heard from them. I tried to submit my Dec payment on the 19th. I never got a confirmation from them or anything. I got a response from them today saying that my bank had returned the payment for November...This was the first I had heard about it and the money was there. Anyway, because of this, the creditor has recalled my account from the CA. I have been making payments to the CA since last year and have paid them over $250 in that time period.

The CA told me that I would have to call the creditor to arrange a payment with. So a month has passed with my account being recalled, I have not heard from either my Creditor or another CA.

I called my creditor this mourning to see if I could arrange to make payments. The woman on the phone again told me that she didn't know where my account was and that she couldn't help me.

So here is where I currently stand. I have one account that I have not paid on in over a year...because my creditor won't accept payments and I don't know who currently has my account. And now I am in the same situation with my current account. The last payment was was applied to the account was the October payment.

Now I live in Europe and only use my American Bank account to pay bills, and don't keep large sums of money in it at one time...I make one transfer every month to that account to pay my American bills.

So if they did issue a judgement against me, all it would really do is be an annoyance as I would have to find some other way to pay on my bills that are still current.

This has turned into a nightmare and I don't really know what I should do.

I want to pay on my bills...I don't want to have judgement issued against me...if they even can with me in Europe. I just can't seem to get anyone to tell me who to pay.

What should I do?

Old Sponsors
Old 12-30-2011, 09:35 AM

Default Re: My situation is very complicated and I am not sure what to do

This is so serious but am sensing so scam on the way.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert View Post
This is so serious but am sensing so scam on the way.
What do you mean scam? My creditor is a very large and well known US nation bank chain. I just can't see them being involved in a scam. I owe less than $3000 total on both my accounts. Do you think they would actually go through all the trouble to freeze my US account over that amount? Could they even do it with me in Europe, wouldn't they have to send me a summons?

I just don't know what I am supposed to do if no one tells me who I should be paying.

What else can I do?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:41 AM

Just so you are aware...collection agencies are not above scamming people to get more money. At one time I owed Verizon $900 and it got moved to a collection agency. I called the agency and they swindled me into giving them my bank info so they could automatically take out $300 payments every week until it was paid. Doing the simple math after 3 weeks the bill should have been paid in full. Well on the fourth week I checked my bank and guess what another $300 was taken out. I called the CA and they said and I quote,"My bill is paid off now and I shouldn't have a problem." I said that yes I had a problem since they took out an extra 300 and again was told that my bill is paid and I should be happy. It got to a point that I requested to talk to the manager and every time I started to say something he interrupted me and cut me off...EVERY time! I was on the phone 2 hours and still got no resolve. Don't be fooled into thinking these collection agencies are above being crooks. As far as your problem my best advice is to go to your credit report and dispute the charges under the premise that they won't take payment and in your other account they won't even contact you (or tell you who has it). It is illegal to make it so a consumer is unable to deal with his/her account but at the same time reporting it to the credit agencies. Even though you live out of the US now you are still dealing with an American company and the rules apply here.