Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Debt

Debt Discussions about debt and how to deal with debt.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:46 PM

Question Being Sued what to do?

I am being sued for aproxmently 2 grand my court date is in january. I am not sure what to do if anyone can help me I would be so gracious.

Im being sued for 2grand however im past due on current bills so I can not pay both this month. I was wondering if anyone has any Ideas on what I should do.

Do I not show up for court

Do I hire a laywer, if so what kind?

If you were in my shoes which would you do? pay the court or pay behind on bills.

I do not feel that I need to file for bankruptcy I have 4.5 grand in credit card debit and aprox 15 thousand in student loans. and no open credit cards.

I really dont have an explanation for why I am in this perdicment, I think im a compulsive spender.

Help would be great I dont know where to start.

I make aprox. 50 grand a year and do not pay any rent....im so ashamed of myself

I should get a nice tax return however my court date is on the 17 and I dont think I will have my w2's by then.

Old Sponsors
Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 PM
The Finance Forums

Default Re: Being Sued what to do?

Pay your debt as soon as possible at your pace. Work out a deal that is flexible for you.Don't forget to show up to court.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:07 PM

Failing to show up in court is not an option, I assure you.

You may inform the judge that, respectfully you would like him/her to consider an out of court settlement with the plaintiff(s).

It would be best if you had a lawyer but the question that would be on the judge's mind is if you can afford to get a lawyer why did you not just pay the debt before it got to court? Ask if the court will be ready to place a "lien" on the loans and credit that you have potentially. That assures the plaintiff(s) will get his money sooner or later and also indicates to the judge your good faith, hopefully. Judges are human too, as you know.

All the best.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:05 AM

Paying your debt is the best option.