Go Back   The Finance Forums > General Forums > General Chat

General Chat General chat and discussion away from the finance topics.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:25 AM

Default Gas Money

I live in the US and gas prices are going crazy around here. Fortunately we do not own a car anymore since someone put sugar in our tank. But if we did I'm not sure we would be able to afford the gas to keep it running.

For those of us in the US -- how do you make sure you have enough money for gas and do you have to sacrific other things in order to get it?

For those of you outside of the US, do you have issues with the price of gas where you live? If so, how do you deal with it?

Old Sponsors
Old 08-16-2006, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Gas Money

It gets factored into our budget - we either have to adjust for the price increase by decreasing spending in another category OR we drive less.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:51 PM

One thing that I have noticed in the last few months is the amount of minivans and trucks that are for sale on used car lots!!!! We have two dozen or so used car lots within a 10 mile radius of where I live and ever single one of them is crowded with mini vans and trucks, people can't seem to get rid of them fast enough.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:19 PM

There is another way to look at this - financially speaking.

If you own a mini-van or truck and it's paid for - you can buy a lot of gas for the amount you might pay in a new car payment for a vehicle that gets better gas mileage.

If the vehicle is paid for, you may not want to rush out immediately and get something different.

Both of my vehicles are paid for (yes I have a mini-van), but I spend less than $100 in gas a month on it. Am I willing to pay $300 a month in a car payment and increase my insurance premiums just to save a few bucks on gas?

It ain't rocket science.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:03 PM

That is true but most of the cars that I have seen are newer models and they are being replaced by cars bought at the auction. I have seen more auction plates in the last six months than I have in the last two years and the area where I live has been reported to have one of the cheapest gas prices in the entire US.

Old 08-27-2006, 05:51 PM

If you want to see how gas prices differ in different states check out this link:
http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

Old 09-06-2006, 05:40 PM

US here ,and yeah gas prices are definetly impacting our lifestyles. We have a gas card and that seems to help a little. But we have a SUV and a pickup truck that both seem to use a lot of gas. What we have been doing is using the extra car a lot, its old and ugly but only needs about 25-30 dollars to fill her up.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:25 PM

I hate paying the high gas prices. Yes I see a lot of people tradeing SUV'S in for smaller cars that are easier on gas, and do not blame them. We have a SUV and we are planning on keeping it, but we are older and really don't go to far.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:50 PM

I seldom use my car anymore to save gas. Instead I use the public transport to travel from one place to another. It is a bit incovenient but it's my way to reduce spendings because of the increase in gas prices and even car maintenance costs which consume a big chunk of my income.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:19 AM

Recently my wife had the chance to become a live in CNA for an older couple. It saves on gas. If she didn't stay she would be coming and going everyday. She was working 12 hour shifts so I never really saw her.

I quit my job and work from home now. We let our van sit and use the more fuel efficient car when we have to go anywhere.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:07 PM

I limit my driving to work and errands. When I do not have to drive, I don't.

Old Sponsors
Old 02-06-2007, 02:42 PM

We have a lot of used car dealers all around us. And all you see is trucks and suv's for sale.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:15 AM

Gas preices are off the roof, i can't believe how it cost now. luckly i drive a toyota.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:16 AM

Yes.. so as much as possible, we limit our car used. Much better if we try to walk if it's just a short distance travel.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:26 AM

I live in the Caribbean and we're hitting $4+. If I don't have to drive to the other side of the island, I don't. Seems like if you live on an island it's 'no problem mon' but these hills can kill you and to get from one side to the other can take about 30 mins.... Up and down hills = burning gas - if I don't need to, I don't!