Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Business Finance

Business Finance Discussions about business finance, such as accounts and accounting, business loans, taxes, and related business issues.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:42 PM

Default Is it a good idea to start a board game business?

I saw online a businessman who used to be a banker, and was told by a friend or something to quit and do what he loved to do instead (for those of you older folk who remember Jimmy Stewart's "You Can't Take it With You," same idea). Like him I am a banker. And my job pays the bills, but I am afraid of the risk. I am skeptical that while his story was successful, there may be twenty more failures at the attempt. In my community we have 2 stores that sell decent board games, and one specializes more in comic books and collectibles, while one is a specific board/card game only type of store. Both hold game nights. There also was another game store that closed down in November, leading me to think a board game store is not the wisest move. Though, to be fair, their location wasn't exactly a good one for business purposes. My initial thought was to create an online store, and pending the results to open up shop.
Here's my business plan: On top of selling the board games, we would have tournaments, like a buy-in, and the winner wins a copy of whatever game we play that night. If you think about it that way, let's say, the most expensive game I have seen is Descent, at $80 (let's just say $100 for easy math). So, I can charge $25 for a buy-in, and let's say we get 10 people. Ok, I just made $250, and will lose $100 to the winner, so essentially I just gained $50 profit. Of course, if the game is only $25 the buy-in would be cheaper than $25, but I think you get my idea. My main concern is that if my business tanks, I pretty much lose everything. The other problem is that as mentioned before, the other stores have free board game nights, but usually not too many prizes involved, aside from a small discount here and there. I would absolutely love my job, but I would also absolutely hate my life if I failed and then was left scrounging for a job too.
One potential outcome could be to open up a shop that was open at night, go into a partnership, the 2nd person would run the business during morning, I would run it at night. This would give us a distinct competitive advantage, and were it to fail, I would still have my other job. The issue then becomes finding somebody willing to do that. Thoughts/Advice?

Old Sponsors
Old 05-09-2013, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Is it a good idea to start a board game business?

that's a good idea you got there.well they say doing business is risky,i suggest that you should make a thorough study about what business you're gonna put up with,do a feasibility study,then if you have more positive outcome then great put that idea to reality.its also good that you should have a fall back just incase it doesn't do well..so good luck on you're venture..

Old 05-15-2013, 04:36 PM

I would start the business but not quit your current job. You should only quit your current job once you're earning enough from your new venture.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:46 PM

Yep, why not. Board games are still very popular despite the success of video games. My children play mostly on PC cause there is a lack of good board ones. Yep, I let them visit only suitable for kids sites such as https://papasgames.io/. But I'd like them to play without a computer.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:10 PM

Of course it's silly, let's not even tie the games to the business. Even if people play games only on the computer in our 21st century. And this is absolutely normal as op me. Even games from childhood are already on the computer for example sea battle. Here's a couple of https://www.youtube.com/embed/lu2NBJa2ER0 advice and forward to the battle for victory

Old 02-27-2019, 01:05 PM

No, I don’t think it’s a good idea, as there are better works to connect our self with, and for me that’s what should be followed. I go for Forex and something on these lines. But of course, you need to be careful with selection of companies here too.