Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Investments

Investments Discussions and questions about stock market investments, tax free savings, and high interest savings accounts.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Real estate investments

Before you invest in real estate investments you need to figure out which "type" of real estate investments you want to invest in. Do you want to invest in residential real estate? Commercial properties such as shopping centers, office buildings, strip malls or what? Do you want to directly invest in real estate or purchase real estate mutual funds or ETF's?

Narrow down what you are really interested in before you invest. Check out information on the Internet, your public library and local colleges and universities in your area and then "do it".

Good Luck
RichS

Old 01-12-2011, 02:01 AM

If you are talking about investment, is necessary to know what type of property or development you are looking for. If you would like to buy land and build, or buy an "on going" property, with a consolidated cash flow.

Brazil has one of the biggest and most beautiful cost of the world, with thousands of different types of beaches, in more than 5,000 miles of sea front areas.

There are some local developers investing in "high end" land development, in many "sea-front" condominiuns, in the State of Bahia, close to the region of Porto Seguro.

In terms of Hotel and Resorts Developments, there are dozen of European companies (Spanish and Portuguese mainly), developping and building Resorts in the NorthEast Region (States of Ceara', Rio Grande do Norte, Bahia). The North American Companies are investing mainly in the business districts, developing Residential and Office projects.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:16 PM

Real estate is a very broad term and area of investing. What type of real estate investing are you interested in? First you need to decide what type of real estate you want to invest in: residential or commercial. Do you want to own houses and rent them out? Do you want to own an office building and rent out office space? Do you want to own a shopping mall or strip mall and rent space? Do you want to be part of a REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust)? Figure out where you interest in real estate is first and then go and educate yourself in that area.

RichS CFP(r)

Old 01-26-2011, 03:21 PM

First decide on which type of real estate you are interested in: Residential or commercial. Do you want to own and rent homes or do you want to own and rent office buildings, shopping malls, or strip malls? Or do you want to be a part of a Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT). Figure out what part of real estate you want to be in and then educate yourself in that area.

RichS CFP(r)

Old 02-07-2011, 12:23 PM

Well everyone would like to own a property, don't we. I like a nice pad for myself too. While alone that is what many would think. But as time goes by, a nice and comfy house for the family is the best. Who would not want to get a nice shelter for the family. I sure would. Investing on properties can be a big decision but it will be all worth it.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:10 PM

If you are not yet a licensed estate broker, I think it is best to be a licensed one too before pursuing to your plans.

Old Sponsors
Old 02-08-2011, 02:13 AM

Real estate is a very good investment. Properties are always a good thing to invest on. It lasts a long time, very useful and usable, transferable even to family, and the prices usually goes up than down. It is a way to invest.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:23 PM

What type of real estate investments are you interested in? There is residential real estate...owning a home to live in or owning other homes that you rent/lease to other people. There is commercial real estate...you own an office building, mall, strip mall, warehouse etc. There is REIT investing (Real Estate Investment Trusts) where you could own the actual properties or mutual funds that invest in these properties.

You need to decide which area you are interested in first and then learn all you can about that area before you decide to invest.

RichS CFP(r)
www.insimplelanguage.com

Old 02-15-2011, 11:11 AM

I would always be on property investments like residential. It is easy to acquire and easy to put on rent. The only difficulty that you may encounter with this kind is when you, unfortunately, get a bad leaser/renter.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphegermain View Post
I would always be on property investments like residential. It is easy to acquire and easy to put on rent. The only difficulty that you may encounter with this kind is when you, unfortunately, get a bad leaser/renter.
A bad tenant is not the only difficulty by far. There are many potential downsides to real estate investing, as there are with any other type of investment. The specifics as to what the downsides are depend on the types of properties you invest in. Residential properties have different categories as well, such as single family homes, small apartment buildings, large apartment complexes, etc.

As was mentioned several times early in this thread the first step is educating yourself. The second step is determining, based on your initial education what types of properties interest you most. From there you need to keep educating yourself and become expert in those kinds of properties. Education is on ongoing process in real estate investing.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:28 AM

Real estate market always fluctuates and also sometimes risky depending on the changing economy and government laws of that particular country. So, it is better to seek help from real estate investment companies. You can even surf online to get a few of them.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:20 PM

I would love to invest on real estate if I can. I have always believed that properties are big investments that helps you in the long run and in your future. May it be for personal or business use.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:40 PM

Be careful with the real estate market. It is certainly down, which may be a good time to buy in, but I think you'd have to consider it as a very long-term investment. Prices may have bottomed, but they haven't shown much sign of returning.

Also, there are a lot of changes being contemplated that could significantly alter real estate finance going forward, and they may alter the market significantly.

Your best bet may be to focus on REITs or other investments that might look at properties typically purchased by companies or entities that have better access to financing.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:18 AM

Hi,
I'll suggest you investments would be a good option.I have always liked the idea of investing on real estate. I believe it is good choice, and a smart move on money spending.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:07 AM

Real estate investments should be done by adding more value to investments so that later it will be very beneficial and thus in future, help in managing the asset.