Go Back   The Finance Forums > General Forums > General Chat

General Chat General chat and discussion away from the finance topics.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:46 PM

Default Re: PROS and CONS Of Working From Home

I wouldn't want to work from home per se, but I would love flexible hours where I don't have to be at the physical office to do some of my work. This would be swell because I plan to do a lot of traveling once I land my dream job.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:17 PM

I work from home now and can say that I really don't miss the 'office politics' and other games colleagues play. I always had a tough time with that. I also like being able to work somewhere quiet with no interruptions as I was never very good at tuning out all the work background noise around me (ringing phones, loud gossipy co-workers, etc).

I do need a change of scenery though every now and again and am fortunate to be able to pop down to my local pub once a week for the afternoon - they've got wi-fi and it is nice to be around other people once in a while. You do feel you have to make a special effort to be sociable as you can get too used to being on your own.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:40 PM

I love working from home, especially in winter when you wake up in the morning and the rain is pouring outside and you know that you don't have to go out in it, that's a fabulous feeling. In my experience though, and I've done a few freelance jobs from home now, you tend to work harder and sometimes feel more pressure because you feel priviledged to have the opportunity to work from home and you don't want anyone to think that you're taking advantage of it.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:35 PM
The Finance Forums

If you own an e-commerce store selling baby products, how could that be a scam? A lot of people are mislead that working from home opportunity are scam. Yes, lots of them are but you just need to look for the right one.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:24 PM

I think working from home can potentially be very lonely, however at the same time it can be quite nice to manage your own time accordingly.

I think if I worked from home, it would be extremely hard to gain motivation to get on with work - especially if you see theres a good programme on TV or your friend rings you and their bored!!

But......I suppose thats what its all about - the amount of work you put in, you get as much out of it - but I think I will be sticking to office work myself!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 01:03 PM
The Finance Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watts View Post
I hear that sexual harassment cases become much more confusing when working from home.
Thats a good one!!

Old Sponsors
Old 02-15-2010, 03:33 PM

Most people who work from home are self-employed people or freelancers -and the biggest danger for them is the sheer number of hours they work. They become chained to their desk in a way that is impossible if they were employed. And that's especially the case if they are single...

Old 03-15-2010, 02:50 AM
The Finance Forums

As long as you can stick with it and make it work, working from home is by far the best. As long as you continue to try to live a normal life.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:32 AM

I work from home, starting a month ago, and it has been fantastic! The internet is where all the money is at, so put your hand in!

Old 04-05-2010, 09:54 PM

In terms of maintaining work discipline, I maintain a Time Card (from a cheap little piece of software, I think it was $10, I googled for it). It's great because I can report exactly how much time was contributed to each project.

I'd caution about the home office tax write-off. Apparently the IRS is very anal about that; the office really needs to be an office and not used for anything else. I ended up not bothering to take the deduction.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:37 PM

Can any body tell me how to work from home?? I really dont know how. Please help me. I am eager to learn.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:04 AM

So true. The pros and cons are what definitely I'm experiencing too.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:11 PM

one of the other disadvantages of working from home sometimes it's tough to get motivated when you work from home....

Old 04-15-2011, 05:33 PM

I work from home mainly and the social aspect is the big one. The whole scam thing is mixed up with the idea of starting a business with zero outlay - that basically never happens!