Go Back   The Finance Forums > General Forums > General Chat

General Chat General chat and discussion away from the finance topics.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:52 AM

Default Re: Question about a job hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater03 View Post
I would say that if there is no way your currant employer is willing to transfer you then I would start looking as soon as possible. The only thing I am wondering is if you start looking and he knows for sure that you are will he give you problems at your currant job? The reason I ask this is because this happened to me.

I'd like to do so if I were in such circumstance

Old 07-26-2007, 11:47 PM

Well, I mentioned to one of my co-workers at the bank that I was looking for work, and was handed a severance package the next day... not an official firing, but more of a "we're going to pay you so you can't sue us, because we don't want you here but have no good reason to let you go" which is HR for "You're fired."

Anyhow, I went to talk to my old manager, wound up having lunch with him, and he hired me back to my old job at the Credit Union. Now I am really excited because there are some opportunities opening up in Madison with a brand new branch, and the Credit Union is now paying me what the bank was. Meanwhile, several friends and relatives of mine who had accounts at that bank have started moving them elsewhere. So far, in addition to losing me, that bank has lost somewhere from $10-30 thousand dollars in deposits.

So now both the credit union and the bank are paying me (severance goes away in August though) so I'm using my free time to work on my blog and do other things I really want to do (like write a fantasy novel even if only I ever read it).

Old 07-27-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
So now both the credit union and the bank are paying me (severance goes away in August though) so I'm using my free time to work on my blog and do other things I really want to do (like write a fantasy novel even if only I ever read it).
Sounds like things are starting to turn around for you... excellent! Are you doing anything special to invest the "extra" pay of the severance, or just calling it part of regular income?

Old 07-28-2007, 09:20 PM

Many states are right to work states, so the employee has little rights.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharina View Post
Sounds like things are starting to turn around for you... excellent! Are you doing anything special to invest the "extra" pay of the severance, or just calling it part of regular income?
Well, a move is in the near future, so I'll probably just put it in the savings account for right now, we'll be moving to a more expensive city, and my wife will quit her job when we move, so it could be a financial stretch, or we may have to even use some of that available debt we have. Of course, maybe my blog will get put on a bunch of sites and my income from that will be enough to retire on... (HAHA!!)

Old 07-31-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
Well, a move is in the near future, so I'll probably just put it in the savings account for right now, we'll be moving to a more expensive city, and my wife will quit her job when we move, so it could be a financial stretch, or we may have to even use some of that available debt we have. Of course, maybe my blog will get put on a bunch of sites and my income from that will be enough to retire on... (HAHA!!)
Your blog's not THAT good!

HA HA!

Just kidding.

Chris

Just make sure you take a hard look at the increased living expenses. You could end up spending significantly more on the stuff you buy, which will mess with your budget.

Old Sponsors
Old 08-01-2007, 07:23 PM

Well, food costs about the same, but the housing market is skewed pretty crazy ($200 more a month for a similar sized place)

My blog is improving btw

hehe I've made $20 so far.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:14 PM

Well, it's been a while, and I'd like to clue everyone in.

First, we did move to Madison WI in November.

I was recently promoted with a 33% increase in pay.

My wife is a manager for Borders books here and loves it.

Rent and gasoline are both ridiculously high-priced.

Now we're considering home ownership.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:11 AM

really good...

Old 05-13-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynion View Post
Your blog's not THAT good!

HA HA!

Just kidding.

Chris

Just make sure you take a hard look at the increased living expenses. You could end up spending significantly more on the stuff you buy, which will mess with your budget.
There's an other job recession coming in our way