Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Credit Ratings

Credit Ratings Issues of credit ratings and credit scoring here.

Old 08-27-2006, 06:49 PM

Default Collection on credit report

I have a "collection" being shown on my credit report. I have no idea why it's there and I've called and called and spoken to "managers" for hours on end and because they weren't the ones there when it happened they think I'm lying.

Anyway it was only $80 so I said I'll pay here here is my credit card number. My question is how much does my credit score bounce back up after it's paid? That one single collection dropped it 100points. I'm younger and don't exactly own a whole lot of stuff. I just graduated from college last year but I did have a credit score of 730 and now it's down to 622. So what's the deal?

Old Sponsors
Old 09-04-2006, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Collection on credit report

Does it still come off even if you paid? I always thought it stayed on for seven years no matter. Please someone jump in if i heard that wrong. Id like to know myself.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:40 PM

Yes, your credit rating will bounce back, but it will take some time. Also, as long as it has been paid, then the loaner will look to see how ong it took and how long ago it was when it happened. Lord knows my credit rating isn't too good, but I have noticed it fluctuates up and down quite a bit. Also, you'll want to continue to check your credit through the same company. I believe there are three big ones out there.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:45 PM

I have a great credit rating now. Ive stopped using my cards for a few years and i have one small loan i have auto payments on. When i call the credit card company on problems they make a point to mention my great credit and talk extra nice to me. LOL.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:26 PM

If I were you I would still look into why the collection was popping up on your account. It sounds like your saying you didn't owe anything at the time? Maybe you should contest it?

But yeah there are 3 big credit reporting companies if you live in america by law each of them have to give you a free credit report. I beleive you can get all 3 at once or one from each company every 3 months.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:09 AM

I wouldn't have paid it if I were you. I would have determined who I owed it to, verified it and paid them directly. I have no level of like for credit collectors. The problem with paying a debt collector is you reset the timer on your credit report. If you had 2 years left before it rolled off, by paying them, you start the clock back over.

The unfortnate reality is in a lot of cases if you have reached an actual collection agency, it can be beneficial to blow them off. It just depends on what your situation is. Plus if you have to have proof with another lender, it is better to get it from the source.

I would just pay the person who I owed the money to originally. I don't care if they sold the debt or not.