Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Personal Loans

Personal Loans Discuss personal loans, secured and unsecured, and general borrowing.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:58 PM

Default Legal Mess and Loans

Okay, this is the situation: My mom claimed she was my wife and got some loans under her name and mine. Her name is not the same as my wife's. We didn't want a family situation from it, so my wife paid off the loans. Unfortunately, my mother had called them and asked them for a reduction on payoff from one of them before we even knew about the loan and after my wife paid off my mom's mistakes, they gave her a refund. Now I have some thing on my credit that says I paid less than I owed but the loan was cleared. I have two questions: How do I make them stop giving my mom loans under my name, and What do I do about the one she got $2000 back from? I can't take my mom to court, but she has taken out three other loans and credit cards after the fact and won't stop. When I was younger, she and my dad ruined my credit using my ssn. I am very frustrated right now. As it is, my wife used all her savings for our wedding to pay off my mother's debts, and now there is a slew more.

Old Sponsors
Old 11-18-2006, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Legal Mess and Loans

I feel like your only recourse is to seek legal means. If you don't want to approach her for the 2k, what else can you do?

For her to get your wife's credit for a credit card is considered fraud and is illegal in the United States. If you're not going to do anything about it then have your wife check her credit report constantly to see if any account is opened up.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:06 PM

Interestingly, my fiance had a very similar problem. She went to the major credit companies (transunion, expedia, etc.) and asked them to put a restriction on her credit. This will force your mom to show or fax a copy of your wife's social security card to get credit.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:48 AM

It all sounds like outright fraud. The companies shouldn't be giving her credit, and if they do and she has done so fraudulently, then it should be up to them to claim the loan repayments from your mum, not yourself or partner.

Not sure how it goes in the US, but here in the UK it would be up to your mum and the lenders to sort out the issue and not involved yourself and wife at all.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:47 PM

The problem is he doesn't want his mother to face the music, but you have no choice other than using the law to bar her form using your name, because what would happen when you can't pay what she is borrowing. At the same time you can change you SS number if you explain your problem, your wife could also do the same and they might also put some kind of an alert at the credit bureau on your account if you explain the problem.