Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Credit Ratings

Credit Ratings Issues of credit ratings and credit scoring here.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:02 PM

Default Sending Credit Bureaus personal Info? Seems iffy....

I sent a letter off to all three of the credit reporting bureaus about 2 month ago. I was disputing several things, including misspelled name, incorrect birth date, completely wrong addresses, incorrect listings, etc.

they all recently sent me back letters saying they could not make any changes because I did not provide proper identification to prove who I am.

They all requested I send them a photo copy of my I.D. card, my social security card and a recent utility bill. Yikes!

I am very apprehensive about sending pretty much everything I have that proves who I am to a company where, god knows how many people, will have access to it!

Any one had to do this before? Any ideas if there is another way? Any thoughts/comments/past experiences shared would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old Sponsors
Old 10-23-2008, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Sending Credit Bureaus personal Info? Seems iffy....

Unfortunately that is the only way to get the personal information section updated through the credit bureaus. Even after sending that information depending on what the change is you sometimes have to send in other documentation as proof (such as proof of the history of name changes)

Do all the mistakes appear to be typing errors? If their is information that is way off base then I reccomend keeping a close eye on your credit to make sure you aren't a victim of identity fraud.

I would look over who has pulled your credit report lately and make sure all inquiries were requested by you, good indicator.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan View Post
Unfortunately that is the only way to get the personal information section updated through the credit bureaus. Even after sending that information depending on what the change is you sometimes have to send in other documentation as proof (such as proof of the history of name changes)

Do all the mistakes appear to be typing errors? If their is information that is way off base then I reccomend keeping a close eye on your credit to make sure you aren't a victim of identity fraud.

I would look over who has pulled your credit report lately and make sure all inquiries were requested by you, good indicator.
Once again, thanks Skins Fan, for responding.

Most of the errors appear to be minor; misspelled name, (an I instead of an E in my last name) birth year wrong, address off by a couple of digits, e.g., 2173 21st St., apt # 23 vs. 2172 23rd St., apt #3, etc. They seem like botched entries, not I.D. Fraud.

The list of companies that have pulled my CRs in the past year, are for credit card applications (2) I submited, banks where I have accounts and, unfortunately, the last two collection agencies I am dealing with.

It is just odd because Experian and Trans Union have two names (both identical, save one letter) and two birth years (identical, save one digit) listed on my report w/two different I.D. numbers (not SSN, their internal acct. #). All of the addresses are the same (save the example above of mixed up digits) for BOTH names. You would think someone would see the OBVIOUS discrepancies and fix them. Sigh... I just want the incorrect info gone.

I figured that was the only solution. I guess I should just send them the photo copies and hope for the best.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:50 PM

Good to hear that it appears to be just common data entry errors. While a pain to deal with at least for the most part harmless.

I understand your hesitancy to send that much personal information in, but at least the credit bureau employees understand the sensitivity of the information. I wonder sometimes about the places we apply for credit with and there handling procedures of the sensitive data however.

Hope everything gets corrected without too much trouble.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:10 PM

Figured I would throw in an update here...I sent a copy of all the I.D. documents they requested and copies of all paperwork I have in regards to these issues. It was sent out today certified mail, RRR. I am hoping this will resolve the issue, but I'm not too optimistic. I sent them everything I could think of, but I'm sure it won't be enough; it never seems to be....I will post back when I get responses.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:44 PM

It should definitely be enough. You just have to hope they don't do more clerical errors and lose the "original" bad information.

But, we just have to deal with this as I guess this is the credit bureau's way of "protecting" our identities. However bad it may be, at least its something.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saros View Post
It should definitely be enough. You just have to hope they don't do more clerical errors and lose the "original" bad information.

But, we just have to deal with this as I guess this is the credit bureau's way of "protecting" our identities. However bad it may be, at least its something.
Yeah, the whole thing seems to be a joke. What gives these privately owned companies the right to collect all of this personal information on everbody, then sell it to the highest bidder (including the person whose "financial life" it is) ? The worst part is, if you don't constantly check the reports (which you have to pay for if you want to look at them more than once a year) you are suceptible to their mistakes, including possible identity fraud!

I don't get how they can legally do this in the first place. What if I don't want them to collect and share all of my personal financial information? It is BS that I am wasting my time and money trying to fix their F&!@ ups...

Sorry, just had to vent for moment.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:11 AM

Hey there Pants,

I agree that for something that can have such a profound impact on peoples lives (credit scores) that the CRA's don't seem to be very thorough or well regulated.

I would hope that someday (and very soon) that the government would step in and hold the CRA's a lot more accountable for having complete and correct information.

My two cents.....

Old 10-31-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan View Post
Hey there Pants,

I agree that for something that can have such a profound impact on peoples lives (credit scores) that the CRA's don't seem to be very thorough or well regulated.

I would hope that someday (and very soon) that the government would step in and hold the CRA's a lot more accountable for having complete and correct information.

My two cents.....
Yeah, the government is slowly but surely getting involved. There have been a couple of laws past in recent years that heavily favour the consumer. It is a start, I guess. It could be worse.

Prior to 1971, the average consumer wasn't even allowed to view their CRs at all! No one knew what was in there, only that they were denied credit or nailed with HUGE interest rates. They also used to list only negative information; along with race, sexual orientation, criminal records, etc.

I guess that is some progress.