Go Back   The Finance Forums > General Forums > General Chat

General Chat General chat and discussion away from the finance topics.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:54 AM

Default I just lost my job, here's what I learned

Well, I just lost my job, I wasn't technically fired, I was "let go" because I "didn't seem to fit the team well." Anyhow, I've learned a lot about the working world from this experience, and thought I would share that with everyone here.
  1. Understand the company before you accept a job. - I asked to see a mission statement, I was told that it was the golden rule. Yet on my termination papers the "biggest offense" was that I made a free copy for a customer and did not charge them a fee. (I worked for a bank) I also had personal distaste for the way overdrafts were handled (fees were never refunded to customers even if there was a good reason).
  2. Demand Training immediately - My employer assumed that I knew the company's computer system well enough to work on my own from day one even though I requested that my first day be in-classroom training. It wasn't cost-effective until they could get 8 people to go, so I learned how to do a lot of things the wrong way.
  3. Ask to meet one on one with your direct supervisor before taking the job -meet outside of the office, ask about problem employees and how they responded, also make sure their expectations are clear to you.
  4. Turn down a job if it's not right for you - After I interviewed there, I knew I really liked the branch manager, but not my supervisor (I wasn't told she would be my supervisor though).
  5. Find common ground quickly - My supervisor and I didn't agree on too many things outside of work, so each day was like pulling teeth.
Well, that's more than enough of a rant for the morning, They are paying me an extra two weeks pay plus my vacation time because they had no real good reason to fire me, and I learned where I wanted to work, where I did not want to work, and now I've got a paid vacation for a little while.

Old Sponsors
Old 07-11-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Re: I just lost my job, here's what I learned

Me oh my. Good learning experience but couldn't you have asked for more than two weeks pay? ;-)

I once worked for a call center and had a similar problem. The phone company (that was our client) really sucked. They sent units to people who didn't order them or sent replacement units that were different models than the ones ordered. Refunds took a really long time and it was almost Christmas. I didn't last (just a month and a half) because I couldn't work for a company that had bad policies and asked ME to cover up and lie outright. Blech. The training sucked too.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:15 PM

Well, it looks as if my old job will hire me back (yay) so I could wind up getting a double paycheck in two weeks, which would not suck at all

Old 07-11-2007, 03:25 PM

Mark,

You seem to have found the job highway that have robbed many of us that do enjoy working hard, have loyalty and business ethics. This is not a career highway, its a job highway - due to keeping us "Just Over Broke", "Jealous Overworked Boss", or even "Jokingly Overbearing and Bazaar".

Its ok to laugh, because you will either laugh or cry at the complete big picture, and I prefer to laugh because there are way too many other things in this messed up world that WILL make you cry.

I have been searching for the perfect career for the last 2 years. I am wondering now if it really exists? Everything that my generations brought to the table, ie hardworking, trustworthy, ethics - both business and personal, moral's - both business and personal, willingness to learn at a fast pace and implement immediately, flexible, approachable by everyone but especially the customer or client, loyal, always looking to help the business grow, etc...

It is obvious to me now that every business out there does not want someone that is looking for a career, just a job. They do not want someone that is looking for a home, somewhere to stay for the rest of their career life. They do not want someone that will last through thick and thin, someone willing to learn new things, or even use old skills that are most effective. They just want a warm body to fill a chair or cubicle or answer a phone, nothing more. Yes its depressing and stressful.

If I do find this career path that seems far and few between I certainly will share with all here. Its just ashame that you spend 6-8 months or a year or two trying to learn what they do not teach, or go through the most awesome 8 weeks training you have ever had only to find the general manager over your office goes against everything that corporate trainers just taught you.

Mark and everyone else, just please do not give up. I have seen far too many very gifted and talented professionals break down due to the stress of always looking and fall into the "Well I will just settle for this" type of mentality.

Which reminds me of something my Father said after my divorce. He said "Son you might have to go through a hundred women to find that one true gem." Yes at the time I thought my Father had lost his mind. I mean I was just divorced, hurt, lonely, wondering why it had ended and so forth. But now as I have matured and looking back I have seen his glorious wisdom of words. Yes he was right. I would endure many many painful relationships to find the wife, mate, best friend, awesome mother and soul mate that I have now, and for the last 17 years.

So my point is, never stop. Always continue. If you quit looking and scratching to find that true career, then these business's that follow what I have written above win. Dont let them win, or better yet dont YOU lose!

Oh well enough of my rant for now. Thanks for listening to me. I hope this helps everyone that reads it. And if not let me know that too. You never know everything and always have room to grow.

Now go get em all you tigers!

Old 07-11-2007, 08:20 PM

The one thing I have learned over the years is if you are not sure of something always ask and keep asking if need be. And if at all possible demand to be trained in the way they want things to work. I have worked at places where they just don't want to train and I will not waste my time if they cannot take the time to train me on how they want things to be done.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
Well, it looks as if my old job will hire me back (yay) so I could wind up getting a double paycheck in two weeks, which would not suck at all
Congrats, Mark. Is this because of something you did or action you took, or was it because they realized they made a mistake?

Old 07-12-2007, 10:21 AM

Crazygator,

The only "sure-fire" way to avoid the employment traps and issues discussed here, is to be your own boss. It's not as easy as the magazines, books, and websites make it seem, but a lot of people, if given the opportunity, would be very successful. Small businesses are growing very fast, and venture capitalists are hungry for new investment ideas.

That being said, owning your own business is one of the most difficult yet satisfying experiences you'll ever have. You have to wear many hats and be a student of business and marketing.

Mark, I believe the best point you made was about not taking a job that isn't right for you. Now, if you love everything about a job and then problems arise after you are hired, that is a different story. But it is an excellent piece of advice to ask many, many questions up front, and understand fully and completely what you are getting into.

Also, I would add this: find a career that you love. Without passion, any job will be just that: a job. Think about the things you enjoy and are passionate about, and then brainstorm to find a career that is involved with that. You'll be happier and wealthier in the end.

Chris

Old 07-12-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynion View Post
Also, I would add this: find a career that you love. Without passion, any job will be just that: a job. Think about the things you enjoy and are passionate about, and then brainstorm to find a career that is involved with that. You'll be happier and wealthier in the end.

Chris
Excellent advice here. I've had jobs (painful memories, those!) and then I carved out a career and the difference (cliche, but it works) was like night and day.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:48 AM

I think any work in the world can not be your whole life, what is our whole life is our life

Old 07-18-2007, 05:47 AM

Why would you want to work your whole like ?

Old 07-19-2007, 01:22 AM

well, pursue my heart. the dreams of elder generation are sometime not where we can achieve success. or at least I need to utilize myself in a way I think it efficient.

Old Sponsors
Old 07-19-2007, 08:28 PM

Don't cut yourself short. Many people have accomplished great things as Senior Citizens. True, time is not your ally in investment terms, but you can get involved with business opportunities that can have a great impact on your remaining years.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:49 AM

A wise man once said: Find a job you love to do and you will never have to work a day in your life.

I know 3 people who have managed that.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:23 PM

I agree with the idea of finding a job or career you love, but in the meantime you still have to eat.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:31 PM

It is so hard to take a job and know what you are really getting in to. You can have that outside perspective and experience to a certain extent, but you really only know what you're signing on to until you begin the work. I guess it is a bit of learning, giving it time, and knowing what you want!