Go Back   The Finance Forums > General Forums > General Chat

General Chat General chat and discussion away from the finance topics.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:40 AM
The Finance Forums

Default PROS and CONS Of Working From Home

Here are the PROS:
  • You are free to do as you please.

• There is no commute.
  • You can work in shorts and a T-shirt.
  • No one looks over your shoulder.
  • You can write off a small portion of your home office expenses on your taxes.
  • Your employer usually compensates you for incidental expenses.
If you are married or have children at home, this type of work situation could be especially convenient for you.

Here are the CONS:

• It takes a phenomenal amount of self-discipline to start work when you know you don't have to be at the office by 8 a.m.

• You are the only person around all day, so there is no outside pressure to be busy.
  • You must be entirely self-motivated.
  • You miss out on the camaraderie that stems from working with others day after day.
  • There are no coworkers to go to lunch with.
  • You can never escape the office and go home, because you are already there.
  • Working from home can be messy and can take up an entire spare room in your home.
  • You don't get face time with your coworkers, so it is more difficult to find out about new projects you might be interested in.
    The boss can't see that you are working hard or putting in extra hours, so you are judged more on the numbers than your work ethic and other intangible factors.
  • There is a danger of putting in too many hours or overworking. As improbable as this might sound, imagine that it's 11 p.m. and you suddenly have a panic attack about work. It's all too easy to go into your home office and work until 1 a.m.

Last edited by fong47; 01-09-2009 at 12:43 AM.

Old Sponsors
Old 01-09-2009, 02:52 AM

Default Re: PROS and CONS Of Working From Home

work from home jobs seem to be mostly scams

Old 01-18-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tordon View Post
Indeed, and it's unfortunate.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:58 PM

telecommuting options have always failed in my experience. when i worked for my dads company, i did all the IT stuff, and still do, but for free now...:/ .... in such a position, i was able to monitor traffic. if a telecommuting employee did not log in until 11am, and i knew this [from my reports], the boss knew this [cz i told him], and that person knew this , but they still submitted hours from 8am.....it led to sticky HR issues.

in any case, it is my belief that telecommuting options should only exist for positions that have demonstrated the responsibility and work ethic needed to succeed with it. In all other cases, it should be used as a tool to enhance availability [snow days, day care bs..ect]

Old 02-01-2009, 12:06 AM
The Finance Forums

I work from home, and have for a very long time. I love it, but the part about having to be fully self motivated it exactly how it goes. I love what I do and it was easy for me to find work with the online resources I had but it was not easy to get out of bed in the morning to goto work when it's in my spareroom, lol

Old 02-01-2009, 05:03 PM
The Finance Forums

I would love to work from home, I am just not sure I would have the discipline. But it would be nice to be your own boss...Maybe i should start a t-shirt company (just joking)

Old 02-25-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Do your research. If one experiences a work-from-home scam, one has violated the first rule of business: going into business with the right people.

Also, it's "different strokes for different folks." Some can handle working at home, most can't (because they have cable television and can't turn it off).

If one is in business with the right people, and working at home is an option, and one can handle the self-discipline, working from home can be great. If one is missing any of the above items, they will likely fail and blame their failure on the "scam" that they were smart enough to participate in.

Just look at the complete picture before ignorantly tossing incorrect comments on a topic one likely knows little about. We have "USA TODAY" and "NYT" for that.

YMH

Old 03-11-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Indeed, and it's unfortunate.
I agree. 99% are scams.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:19 PM

Arrow Re: PROS and CONS Of Working From Home

Quote:
There is a danger of putting in too many hours or overworking.
I work from home, and I don't mind overworking. The only thing that I don't like is this encroaching carpal tunnel syndrome. I have to take regular breaks and massage my right hand.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:19 AM

I hear that sexual harassment cases become much more confusing when working from home.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:00 PM
The Finance Forums

Quote:

Could somebody please describe "SCAM" to me because the work is being tossed around a lot when it comes to working from home. I say this with the greatest respect, but it seems like scam is just a replacement word for knowing nothing or very little about the subject. I'm not saying scams aren't out there. It's unfortunate that there are scamers out there. I almost got involved with one. It involved becoming a secret shopper and getting paid to shop and dine out. I knew it was a scam when they sent me a check for way too much money BEFORE i even put in any hours. I shredded the check and haven't heard back from them. The biggest problem was that The "company" I was supposedly going to work for never met me face to face. Those are the ones to watch out for. However there are NUMEROUS work from home jobs out there where you meet people face to face who can answer all your questions and relieve all your doubts before you decide to join. Proper education and research on any given company that offers work from home will alleviate much of the talk about them all being scams.

Old Sponsors
Old 03-26-2009, 10:50 PM
The Finance Forums

It is very confusing and most of the people think they are scam. But, to tell you the truth,there are legitimate company out there that are real and stable, you just have to do your part and research. Research is the key for success for any business online or offline. If you were to open a bagel shop in your neighborhood, don't you need to do some research like rent, competition, how much traffic in the area, and etc...

Old 03-26-2009, 11:39 PM
The Finance Forums

Thumbs up Re: PROS and CONS Of Working From Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by fong47 View Post
It is very confusing and most of the people think they are scam. But, to tell you the truth,there are legitimate company out there that are real and stable, you just have to do your part and research. Research is the key for success for any business online or offline. If you were to open a bagel shop in your neighborhood, don't you need to do some research like rent, competition, how much traffic in the area, and etc...
Yes very much. Thank you for saying that. Sorry, I just get so frustrated about the word toss of scam. I know they're out there, but I'm defensive because I'm a work from home entrepreneur in e-commerce and I get people telling me to my face that I'm working for scammers. I did my research and I know that I'm working in a legit business.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:26 PM
The Finance Forums

Our blog is full of some good topics for Working from home newbies and oldies. Some like (Moms, what to do when at home with the kids and your trying to work! ) and (Best time to start a business is now!) and (Techniques on keeping yourself headed toward your career goals) and (a personal reflection) and as we all know too well the ( Warning road block ahead; How to identify and break down that wall ) Check out the blog and share some of your ideas, comments or just read and learn how working from home can become a reality.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:28 PM

I can freelance from home with the type of work I do, but I was told by people who did it that they felt anti-social after they did it for some time.