Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > General Finance

General Finance Discuss general personal finance issues and home accounting not covered on the other finance boards.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:06 PM

Default What is your biggest money problem?

Hey all,

Just wondering what your biggest money problem is. Is it how to get out of debt? Where to invest? How money in general works?....etc?

I would be interested to know.

Thanks,

Old Sponsors
Old 03-16-2010, 02:50 PM

Default Re: What is your biggest money problem?

Hi,

I think most of the money problems is the we simply don't have enough of it

In the western world, this usually results from the over-consuming and thinking that when you buy the next cool item it will make you happier. Well - it won't.

I try to follow the rule that no matter what income I have - I will always try to save money and not spend it even if I want to live in a nicer place, drive a nicer car or upgrade my home theater system.... Instead I actaully try to enjoy the small stuff life has to offer - family, friends, good food, good music, going outdoors etc.

Of course you will need money to all of these activities, BUT, if you focus on the essence rather then then "what others think of me when I wear XXX brand jeans" then I guarantee money will become a minor issue.

I know it is a bit off topic but I did want to share some of how I think and feel.

Cheers.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:27 PM

my main money problem is that i never seem to have enough of it.... or is it just human nature screaming "more more"??

Old 04-01-2010, 12:49 PM

My biggest problems is waiting for my next pay check so that I can invest it in mutual funds and to build my emergency fund to 3-6 months. I just invested my last amount to the Roth IRA for 2009. Start over again in 2010.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:45 PM

For me, probably the person I'm married to. Love her to death, but she's got problems. I bought a house on only my income putting 10% down, still have $6,000 to make changes as we saw fit, and accrue money. Since she was in so much debt I took sole responsibility for all bills except phone & food (which amounted to $250/month) for one year. The two of us combined make over $100,000/year and she makes more than me. After a year said she still needed more time to pay off her loans, so I had her pay 1/4th of the bills for 2 years. After 3 years in total we sat down and I found out she'd paid the minimum on all her loans, and doubled her credit card debt in the 3 years she was supposed to pay them all off.

A professor once said, "Give a poor person a million dollars and they'll still be poor". I never really thought about that, but I think I understand now. If my wife was given $1,000,000 I know she'd blow it in short order on useless stuff to have none of it left and be in severe debt. And, I have no idea what she spent her money on in those 3 years... she doesn't have anything to show for it. She didn't buy drugs with it, in her field she has to be drug & alcohol tested randomly. I do love her, and now we're paying for a financial advisor she needs supervision. Our first meeting... they asked what I spend my money on and I was able to say Shed, remodelling a room, remodelling the back yard (bulldozer & 900 yards of dirt). My wife when pressured admitted she'd charged up $3,000 in the last month. What do you spend your money on asked the Advisor. She said... "I don't know", I bought a present for someone... a few pieces of clothing. The woman was like, and that added up to $3,000? My wife said... I really don't know what I buy. The advisor I could see had to bite her lip.

Last edited by Piedmont; 04-01-2010 at 03:53 PM.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:01 AM

The biggest problem for any business is to raise the required funds for a business and maintaining the financial assets of the business.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
For me, probably the person I'm married to. Love her to death, but she's got problems.
For me that would be a deal breaker. I would talk seriously with her about this and let her know that this has to stop. Cut up all the cards, you take over the finances and let her know where you stand.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:12 AM

Being an ostrich; not preparing for expenses that are bound to come up in the future. It always knocks my finances for a loop when grass starts growing in the spring and I have to add lawn care to the budget, or when the truck fails inspection because the tires are balding.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:59 AM

I think my biggest money problem is on the little things that get charged up on my credit cards. It seems they don't cost much and won't add up but they do and you'll be surprised when the statement shows up.
Besides that, I think I'm pretty good at making complete payment at the end of the month but I have to keep reminding myself about charging $1 coffee every morning on my card.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:18 PM

I know that a challenge for most people is the fact that they simply don't have enough money. While this seems like the problem this is actually in fact the result.

There could be several reasons why you don't have enough money, the real solution is to look at the CAUSE.

It's like overweight people. They think that being overweight is the problem when in actual fact it is indeed the result. You must look at the cause in order to fix the problem.

Cheers!

Old 04-18-2010, 04:09 PM

One huge problem at the moment is that if you *do* have money, it is being eroded by inflationary rates which are higher than savings interest rates - unless you tie it up for years. So you are - in real terms - losing money.

Old Sponsors
Old 04-20-2010, 01:15 PM

I use to think this way too, but then I started setting goals and living on a plan. I have more cash then I've ever had in credit lines. Last check, I had a FICO score between 820 and 840 depending on the agency and very good income. I'll keep my good credit, but I'm not doing debt anymore.

Even in this economy my net worth is building. I've taken some hits too. A few of them would have knock me down years ago. Now they just sting for a moment. Then I go back to working my plan.

My marriage is better then ever. My stress levels haven't been this low as an adult. Life is good and getting better. One of the better parts is helping others turn their lives around too.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:34 AM

Raising capital necessary to run the business, is the biggest problem which business face mostly.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:43 PM

I do pretty well with money. I have no debt and have quite a bit saved up. I guess my biggest problem would be my income. I would like to see it go up in the next little while so I can afford payments on a house.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:26 PM

Goal setting is a must but hard to stay on track. You just have to remember if you fall off track just get right back on and don't give up and always ask for advice when making major purchases