Go Back   The Finance Forums > General Forums > General Chat

General Chat General chat and discussion away from the finance topics.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:08 PM

Default what else am i good for?

i work in a supervisory capacity for a media content provider. i do not carry the title "stupidvisor" however.

i have 22 years customer service experience in many fields, but about 15 is restaurant related from bartender to managing partner, and the rest is telecom related. in that time i have won sales awards, productivity awards and performance rewards, but i am in a position which is horribly underpaid and over stressed

so now my company is trying to jam me up on "corrective action" [our version of getting into work related trouble.] i took a cpl of days off that i had available in my personal and sick time accounts. they [HR] are calling it a pattern and i must submit to a 6 month censorship [no promotions, lateral moves, shift changes...anything]. so now they took a over achiever and made me into a disgruntled employee overnight.

im tired of the customer service grind. people, in general, are not personally responsible for their own actions and blame everyone except themselves. this is my version of saying "people suck" without coming off as anti-social.

so what else can i do? my education died when my ex-wife got pregnant, so im stuck with 4 years of credits that dont/cant/wont combine into a bachelors degree. my education benefit at work is 2500 a year if i prepay. i cant buy books for 2500 a year. im exaggerating, but not by much. i work 10 hours a day, so energy levels for going back to school are low, even if i had the money to go back.

so, bottom line, it is what it is. what else can i do? with unemployment so high nationwide [usa], people are suggesting i should be happy to have a job. my suggestion is that there has got to be more to life than this.

Old Sponsors
Old 02-25-2009, 05:43 AM
The Finance Forums

Default Re: what else am i good for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzaro View Post
im tired of the customer service grind. people, in general, are not personally responsible for their own actions and blame everyone except themselves. this is my version of saying "people suck" without coming off as anti-social.

so what else can i do? my education died when my ex-wife got pregnant, so im stuck with 4 years of credits that dont/cant/wont combine into a bachelors degree. my education benefit at work is 2500 a year if i prepay. i cant buy books for 2500 a year. im exaggerating, but not by much. i work 10 hours a day, so energy levels for going back to school are low, even if i had the money to go back.

so, bottom line, it is what it is. what else can i do? with unemployment so high nationwide [usa], people are suggesting i should be happy to have a job. my suggestion is that there has got to be more to life than this.
It's hard to say what to do. One thing I've noticed is that what it says on my CV for education seems to be meaning less and less everyday. It's more about what I can do and what I can show so I personally wouldn't worry too much about the education bit. I guess it really depends on what you're doing for work though.

I would say keep your options open...don't just quit your job but get your ass in gear and start looking for something new. You'd be surprised that there are still good jobs out there.

For an interesting read, google "David Foster Wallace Kenyon College speech." It will help you put things into perspective. It did for me anyway.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
One thing I've noticed is that what it says on my CV [Curriculum Vitae] for education seems to be meaning less and less everyday.
So true.

Mom and Pops across the kitchen table don't give a damn about how much alphabet soup letters a person has after their name.

The want accurate information so they can make an informed decision and value honesty and integrity much more than the abc's of so-called competency without common sense.

The USA government is a prime example of very intelligent people who none-the-less produce, promote and protect institutionalized incompetence.

See THIS THREAD titled Financial Services Lettermen.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:14 PM

Unfortunately you are in one of the most dehumanizing of all professions most companies in the field are doing everything they can to get their customers to out source the work to their operations in India.

If you have a lot of restaurant experience trying find a job with companies like the Compass Group which operate food service operations all over North America.

The best of luck I now it is not going to be easy, but remember it could still be worse, you could live in Detroit MI, or Windsor ON they been going through double digit unemployment for a few years with no end in sight.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesacheson View Post
... education seems to be meaning less and less everyday. It's more about what I can do and what I can show ...
I'm on my third job without being asked to show any degree, diplom or certificate.. I wonder wth did I strugle.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:36 PM

nullnill, I like your currency converter!!!

I have some clients in Canada and they're always playing and timing the exchange rate thingy between U.S. dollars and Canadian dollars.

They don't need the money nor does it make any difference to their lifestyle. I think they do it for sport to beat both Gubments at their own monetary games.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:59 PM
The Finance Forums

Why dont You trying working from home and finish your education in something that you enjoy? There are several work from home guides available. None of them offer you the resources and are updated as often as ours. We provide LIVE help and a community to work with. A chat room and forum with work from home operators. We have even gone the extra mile to provide you with a GUARANTEE. And now it is all up to you! On the site there is the actual table of contents. We are 100% confident that you will have all the resources for finding a job with our WORK BASED FROM HOME System. If after you apply for 5 jobs that you are qualified for, and you do not receive a position, simply mail us 3 application confirmations from employers that you applied to and we will refund you the complete cost of the book. You can keep the book as our gift and use it to secure a position in the future. This would be a great opp for you , someone who needs enough study time.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiad521 View Post
Why dont You trying working from home and finish your education in something that you enjoy? There are several work from home guides available. None of them offer you the resources and are updated as often as ours. We provide LIVE help and a community to work with. A chat room and forum with work from home operators. We have even gone the extra mile to provide you with a GUARANTEE. And now it is all up to you! On the site there is the actual table of contents. We are 100% confident that you will have all the resources for finding a job with our WORK BASED FROM HOME System. If after you apply for 5 jobs that you are qualified for, and you do not receive a position, simply mail us 3 application confirmations from employers that you applied to and we will refund you the complete cost of the book. You can keep the book as our gift and use it to secure a position in the future. This would be a great opp for you , someone who needs enough study time.
Yes, abandon your job in hopes of making millions on the internet, using our patented method that is guaranteed to work. How could it fail? There's a guarantee!

(You might be better off at your current job.)

Old 03-16-2009, 04:23 PM

Stick with it until the economy improves. Right now is a very bad time to quit a job.