Go Back   The Finance Forums > General Forums > General Chat



General Chat General chat and discussion away from the finance topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-08-2009, 04:08 PM
bizzaro bizzaro is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: new jersey / morris county / usa
Posts: 7
Default what else am i good for?

i work in a supervisory capacity for a media content provider. i do not carry the title "stupidvisor" however.

i have 22 years customer service experience in many fields, but about 15 is restaurant related from bartender to managing partner, and the rest is telecom related. in that time i have won sales awards, productivity awards and performance rewards, but i am in a position which is horribly underpaid and over stressed

so now my company is trying to jam me up on "corrective action" [our version of getting into work related trouble.] i took a cpl of days off that i had available in my personal and sick time accounts. they [HR] are calling it a pattern and i must submit to a 6 month censorship [no promotions, lateral moves, shift changes...anything]. so now they took a over achiever and made me into a disgruntled employee overnight.

im tired of the customer service grind. people, in general, are not personally responsible for their own actions and blame everyone except themselves. this is my version of saying "people suck" without coming off as anti-social.

so what else can i do? my education died when my ex-wife got pregnant, so im stuck with 4 years of credits that dont/cant/wont combine into a bachelors degree. my education benefit at work is 2500 a year if i prepay. i cant buy books for 2500 a year. im exaggerating, but not by much. i work 10 hours a day, so energy levels for going back to school are low, even if i had the money to go back.

so, bottom line, it is what it is. what else can i do? with unemployment so high nationwide [usa], people are suggesting i should be happy to have a job. my suggestion is that there has got to be more to life than this.
Reply With Quote

Old Sponsors
  #2  
Old 02-25-2009, 05:43 AM
jamesacheson jamesacheson is offline
The Finance Forums
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Midlothian, UK
Posts: 3
Default Re: what else am i good for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzaro View Post
im tired of the customer service grind. people, in general, are not personally responsible for their own actions and blame everyone except themselves. this is my version of saying "people suck" without coming off as anti-social.

so what else can i do? my education died when my ex-wife got pregnant, so im stuck with 4 years of credits that dont/cant/wont combine into a bachelors degree. my education benefit at work is 2500 a year if i prepay. i cant buy books for 2500 a year. im exaggerating, but not by much. i work 10 hours a day, so energy levels for going back to school are low, even if i had the money to go back.

so, bottom line, it is what it is. what else can i do? with unemployment so high nationwide [usa], people are suggesting i should be happy to have a job. my suggestion is that there has got to be more to life than this.
It's hard to say what to do. One thing I've noticed is that what it says on my CV for education seems to be meaning less and less everyday. It's more about what I can do and what I can show so I personally wouldn't worry too much about the education bit. I guess it really depends on what you're doing for work though.

I would say keep your options open...don't just quit your job but get your ass in gear and start looking for something new. You'd be surprised that there are still good jobs out there.

For an interesting read, google "David Foster Wallace Kenyon College speech." It will help you put things into perspective. It did for me anyway.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 02-25-2009, 07:12 AM
GarySpicuzza's Avatar
GarySpicuzza GarySpicuzza is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Florida/PascoCounty/USA
Posts: 464
Default Re: what else am i good for?

Quote:
One thing I've noticed is that what it says on my CV [Curriculum Vitae] for education seems to be meaning less and less everyday.
So true.

Mom and Pops across the kitchen table don't give a damn about how much alphabet soup letters a person has after their name.

The want accurate information so they can make an informed decision and value honesty and integrity much more than the abc's of so-called competency without common sense.

The USA government is a prime example of very intelligent people who none-the-less produce, promote and protect institutionalized incompetence.

See THIS THREAD titled Financial Services Lettermen.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 02-25-2009, 08:14 PM
RobertD RobertD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario/Essex Canada
Posts: 103
Default Re: what else am i good for?

Unfortunately you are in one of the most dehumanizing of all professions most companies in the field are doing everything they can to get their customers to out source the work to their operations in India.

If you have a lot of restaurant experience trying find a job with companies like the Compass Group which operate food service operations all over North America.

The best of luck I now it is not going to be easy, but remember it could still be worse, you could live in Detroit MI, or Windsor ON they been going through double digit unemployment for a few years with no end in sight.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 03-06-2009, 05:45 AM
nullnill nullnill is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Stuttgart Germany
Posts: 6
Default Re: what else am i good for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesacheson View Post
... education seems to be meaning less and less everyday. It's more about what I can do and what I can show ...
I'm on my third job without being asked to show any degree, diplom or certificate.. I wonder wth did I strugle.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 03-07-2009, 07:36 PM
GarySpicuzza's Avatar
GarySpicuzza GarySpicuzza is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Florida/PascoCounty/USA
Posts: 464
Default Re: what else am i good for?

nullnill, I like your currency converter!!!

I have some clients in Canada and they're always playing and timing the exchange rate thingy between U.S. dollars and Canadian dollars.

They don't need the money nor does it make any difference to their lifestyle. I think they do it for sport to beat both Gubments at their own monetary games.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 03-10-2009, 11:59 PM
desiad521 desiad521 is offline
The Finance Forums
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: United states New York
Posts: 15
Default Re: what else am i good for?

Why dont You trying working from home and finish your education in something that you enjoy? There are several work from home guides available. None of them offer you the resources and are updated as often as ours. We provide LIVE help and a community to work with. A chat room and forum with work from home operators. We have even gone the extra mile to provide you with a GUARANTEE. And now it is all up to you! On the site there is the actual table of contents. We are 100% confident that you will have all the resources for finding a job with our WORK BASED FROM HOME System. If after you apply for 5 jobs that you are qualified for, and you do not receive a position, simply mail us 3 application confirmations from employers that you applied to and we will refund you the complete cost of the book. You can keep the book as our gift and use it to secure a position in the future. This would be a great opp for you , someone who needs enough study time.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 03-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Watts Watts is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rochester, NY USA
Posts: 49
Default Re: what else am i good for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiad521 View Post
Why dont You trying working from home and finish your education in something that you enjoy? There are several work from home guides available. None of them offer you the resources and are updated as often as ours. We provide LIVE help and a community to work with. A chat room and forum with work from home operators. We have even gone the extra mile to provide you with a GUARANTEE. And now it is all up to you! On the site there is the actual table of contents. We are 100% confident that you will have all the resources for finding a job with our WORK BASED FROM HOME System. If after you apply for 5 jobs that you are qualified for, and you do not receive a position, simply mail us 3 application confirmations from employers that you applied to and we will refund you the complete cost of the book. You can keep the book as our gift and use it to secure a position in the future. This would be a great opp for you , someone who needs enough study time.
Yes, abandon your job in hopes of making millions on the internet, using our patented method that is guaranteed to work. How could it fail? There's a guarantee!

(You might be better off at your current job.)
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 03-16-2009, 04:23 PM
www.BalanceTransfer.cc www.BalanceTransfer.cc is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14
Default Re: what else am i good for?

Stick with it until the economy improves. Right now is a very bad time to quit a job.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



» Boards




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.