Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Retirement

Retirement Saving for retirement - questions about pensions and pension schemes, 401k's, public and private company pensions, and other saving schemes.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Age to retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizcurlz View Post
Everyone has their own moment when they know it's time to take off. Retirement comes in our mind when we feel we are financially secure. The usual range of "full retirement age" is from 62 to 67.
Although some of us consider retirement being the time when you can work without the worry of finances, but because of fulfillment. I plan to work until I die, on my terms that is due to proper financial planning for my wife and I.

Old Sponsors
Old 03-06-2012, 03:46 PM

When you get into your60's there is not the same incentive to get on and develop your career, so work can become boring. I am 63 and although not ready to stop work I am looking for a change from going to work 9 to 5. Time to start doing what I want to do.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:56 AM

60-70 seems alright to me.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGfan View Post
There has been a lot of talk in the UK recently about retirement age as Iain Duncan Smith, the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, has announced plans to increase state retirement age for men to 66.

When state retirement age was introduced, it was designed to give people 7 years of state-funded retirement. Nowadays life expectancy for men in the UK is 77, and women is 81. With that in mind, is it appropriate for Britons to complain about this change?

Lifestyles now, of course, are different from when the retirement age was introduced. And the planned change is not 'til 2016.
On my experience with clients the best age is 60 to 70, higher than that and you cannot enjoy your retirement anymore.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:27 AM

Some countries have fixed age of taking retirement and it is indeed 60 - 70

Old 11-16-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
There has been a lot of talk in the UK recently about retirement age as Iain Duncan Smith, the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, has announced plans to increase state retirement age for men to 66.

Lifestyles now, of course, are different from when the retirement age was introduced. And the planned change is not 'til 2016.
Just think about if the elderly need to work to 70somthing, it should be really tired or just cannot handle.
But of course, as I know have some program or company hire retirees as consultant or part time staff. They may not feel boring or lack of purpose.
Also not bad. The most important is need to respect their opinion.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:06 AM

In govt. service retirement age is now 66.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:09 AM

The dollar rose today in the banks against the pound greatly as the price reached 18.90 the highest price of the dollar to banks, as the rise in the price of the dollar on the black market was also not in the banks only, where she returned yesterday the black market for the image again after the calm that dominated the banks that operate within the Arab Republic of Egypt, what was the black market traders the best of this opportunity to attract the largest number of US currency Dmkhry

Old 02-26-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:

When state retirement age was introduced, it was designed to give people 7 years of state-funded retirement. Nowadays life expectancy for men in the UK is 77, and women is 81. With that in mind, is it appropriate for Britons to complain about this change?

Interesting post. One of our partners at virtualstaff.ph is from the UK and he has expressed thoughts on this which I'll share.

The biggest problem with state pension in the UK is the fact it was promoted as a set in stone policy, certainly many Brits were sold on the idea of "work 40 years, pay your stamps (National Insurance), PAYE etc, and live the golden years of retirement."

Why are people annoyed? The main reason is because as of Feb 2015 statistics, over 5,000,000 people were claiming welfare benefits, that's around 8% of the total population. People are annoyed because they are paying into a system, while others are milking that same system at the same time the government is telling the people paying into it "work more, work longer, pay more".

Old 02-26-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by financialadvisory View Post
On my experience with clients the best age is 60 to 70, higher than that and you cannot enjoy your retirement anymore.

I agree. I also think the key is not to place all your eggs in one basket and rely on the state pension system, and instead focus on individual financial planning.

Our clients are Philippine based, and despite the difference in financial stability in terms of the UK and the Philippines, the fact remains that when it comes to a comfortable retirement on your terms, you really need to ensure you maintain as much control as possible in where that retirement income is coming from.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:39 PM

Retirement age can also vary from one profession to another. For tax benefits however, government has set a minimum age limit.

Old Sponsors
Old 03-24-2017, 05:02 AM

That depends on Britons. However if they don't like staying home and relaxing without being productive for the day, they can look for some jobs online or such. The recommended age to retire is 65. My parents have retired at that age.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:01 AM

Your full retirement age is 66. Remember, the earliest a person can start receiving Social Security retirement benefits will remain age 62. If you start receiving retirement benefits at. age 62, you will get 75% of the monthly benefit because you will be getting benefits for an additional 48 months.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:17 AM

i'd say there's no age for retire from forex and stock market. maybe like 70+ OR SMTH LOL

Old 07-14-2017, 12:47 AM

It's a good idea to keep working for as long as possible since that's a key reason people give for their longevity. You don't have to work the same job, but just stay busy.