Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Retirement

Retirement Saving for retirement - questions about pensions and pension schemes, 401k's, public and private company pensions, and other saving schemes.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:12 AM

Default Roth or not?

I put away the maximum (59,000) yearly. I get a full tax deduction for this. I now have an option of using a Roth. I have a small amount in Roths now. Now I am 62 years old. At this age, which is more beneficial going forward - putting all the money in a Roth each year, or take the tax deduction instead?

Old Sponsors
Old 08-24-2017, 06:47 AM

Default Re: Roth or not?

I'd take Roth

Old 10-23-2017, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Roth or not?

You put away $59K a year? Into what? That exceeds the 401K limits, AND the SEP-IRA limits? I assume you mean you are putting it into savings?

Regarding a ROTH: If you are able to "put away $59K a year", you may very likely earn too much to qualify for a ROTH (unless what you mean by you "now have the option for a ROTH" is that your income is coming down enough so that you could now contribute to one).

Generally 62 is too old for it to make sense putting money into a ROTH, however if you are very healthy and expect to live another 30 years, AND have plenty of other retirement resources to draw on while he ROTH continues to grow, then it may be worth it for you.

But, given that you are apparently in a very high tax bracket, and given your age, it probably makes more sense to put that money into a tax deferred account.