Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Retirement

Retirement Saving for retirement - questions about pensions and pension schemes, 401k's, public and private company pensions, and other saving schemes.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:34 AM

Smile funeral plans

Am thinking about taking out a pre-paid funeral plan?
I seem to think these are regulated but wonder how safe my money would be for 10 - 20 years (hopefully).
Any snags to these that you know of???

Old Sponsors
Old 06-21-2011, 11:38 AM

Default Re: funeral plans

Everything I've heard is that these are bad ideas, because prices change and you may not need the service you think you need.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Rita90,

While it's great to plan ahead and make arrangements... it is not so great to pre-pay your funeral expenses.

Instead... make sure your term-life insurance is adequate to provide for your family and that you save up an emergency fund big enough to cover what you need.

In other words.... pay yourself what you'd pay the prepaid funeral arrangements into something that earns you interest and can be easily accessed by your heirs should you pass away suddenly.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:15 PM
The Finance Forums

I always asked my self what would I decide if a closed loved one died . We had no graveyard. It seemed to me that was the only option because it was a family tradition.
Many years later my father died of lung cancer and I found out incineration is the most affordable , less painful and convenient way to to deal with this issue. I have my father's remains in a small coffin inside of my dresser. My wife doesn't mind. I don't have to worry about bringing flowers to my dad or about maintenance problems.

I would never do the deal you were offered.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:44 PM

Some good advice here on prepaid funerals. What I would be concerned with is whether the funeral home, as I know it today, will be around or owned by someone else when it becomes time to honor the contract.
In theory prepaid funerals sound like a good idea. But with such a long term involved I would be very leery of buying a prepaid funeral arrangement.
There must be a very good reason why funeral companies/homes came up with this prepaid funeral idea...have you every seen a poor funeral director? Think about it.

Richs
Financial Answers

Old 07-22-2016, 04:00 AM

maybe open an account and keep the cash you'd have to invest in a pre-paid funeral there and have your dear ones access the account once you've passed away

Old 08-20-2016, 06:50 AM

Don't think of this side. Think positive aspect of life and enjoy your life.