Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Credit Ratings

Credit Ratings Issues of credit ratings and credit scoring here.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:04 PM

Default Cards closed for longer than 7 yrs still on report

I have credit cards that have been closed for longer than 7 years with no information sent in-some as long as 10 years- but they are still on my credit report. They all would be positive-paid in full no missed or late payments so nothing negative. My question is do I need to have them taken off since they are over the time or not worry about them since they wouldn't be negative against my rating?

Old Sponsors
Old 08-15-2012, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Cards closed for longer than 7 yrs still on report

I would have them removed from your credit. Put it in writing (on real paper and send by real mail) to all 3 credit bureaus your request to have the accounts removed, the account number and the reason why. You will also need to send a copy of your drivers license and social security card. You need to send a copy of the letter and copy of your id's, to each individual bureau seperatly (3 in total):
TransUnion Consumer Relations
P.O. Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022

Equifax Consumer Relations
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374

Experian Consumer Realtaions
P.O. Box 2002
Allen, TX 75013

In accordance with the Fair Credit Act each othe the bureaus has 30 days to respond back to your request in writing.

Also be aware that the date they start counting the 7yrs from is the "last active date" which is different then opening date, date of last payment, or balance, etc.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:58 AM

You can request for these credit card info to be removed since they are all inactive. Make sure that you request it from the major credit reporting agencies.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:06 AM

I recommend keeping them on the report. Positive credit stays on your report forever, and there is no time limit for how long they would stay on. Since it is not bad credit, it isn't hurting you. It helps to show a long history of good standing, so I would keep them listed. Of course, if there are any inaccuracies, then I would get that cleaned up.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:43 PM

It doesnt matter. They will show on your report but likely not factor into the proprietal algorithm that Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian use to calculate your numbered score. Each year that passes is a year that your score is weighted down less and less by historical deliquencies.

Dont worry about it. Worry about continuing to make on time payments and checking your credit report at least three times a year for innaccuracies.