Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Insurance

Insurance Life assurance, car insurance, holiday insurances, etc - discuss insurance and ask questions about insurance and insurance companies here.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:35 AM

Default How to get a Disability insurance?

I work as a on-site supervisor in a construction company in New York. Recently i moved to California from New York due to personal reasons. A couple of weeks back because of a small accident in the site i became disabled and was unable to attend the work for 10 days. i want to recover those 10 days earning with the insurance. But i don't have any DI policy. how to apply for this and will i be eligible for the insurance or not. can anyone suggest me on this.

Old Sponsors
Old 10-17-2006, 06:36 AM

Default Re: How to get a Disability insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncalvin
I work as a on-site supervisor in a construction company in New York. Recently i moved to California from New York due to personal reasons. A couple of weeks back....
You have mentioned that you work as a supervisor. But you didn’t mention the exact nature of your disability, whether it happened at work, or at home or some where else. Because if you are injured & disabled at work, you will be receiving some disability benefits from the workers compensation insurance. However if your employer is not providing any sort of compensation, then you can apply for a DI policy and can get the disability benefits from the policy. In this you will be having two types. A short term & a long term depending on the period of your disability.
I think you may be eligible for a short term one. Most of the companies are offering both terms. You can search online for the details of the companies providing DI insurance.

One of my neighbor disability worker went through the same situation a month back. Unfortunately he was not covered by the workers compensation also. He searched online & filled the form in a couple of sites.
Hope you recover your earnings.

Best of luck

Last edited by brian; 10-17-2006 at 03:00 PM.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:59 PM

Hopefully that's answered it, and welcome to The Finance Forums, Simon and Loraine.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:36 AM

According to Social Security "To qualify for disability benefits, you must first have worked in jobs covered by Social Security. Then you must have a medical condition that meets Social Security's definition of disability."

Old 04-30-2013, 04:04 AM

Default What is disability insurance?

Disability insurance, also known as disability income insurance, replaces a portion of your income—typically between 50% and 70%—if you are no longer able to work due to sickness or injury. (No insurer will agree to replace all of your predisability income, the rationale being that you would have little incentive to return to work.)"Your ability to earn an income is likely to be your largest financial asset," says Marvin Feldman, president and CEO of the Life and Health Insurance Foundation for Education in Arlington, Va. "It's worth protecting."