Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Retirement

Retirement Saving for retirement - questions about pensions and pension schemes, 401k's, public and private company pensions, and other saving schemes.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:51 PM

Default College student starting IRA

I've been reading the forum, but have some questions. I am a college student that wants to start saving now. I started a small business last year. I don't make much money, but enough to save at least 1 or $2,000 a year. I have no interest in investing money in the stock market for the near future.

I think its time to start an IRA so that I have compounded a decent amount of interest down the road. My question is what company would you recomend fo starting my IRA? What interest rates are they offering if I don't touch the money until 65+?

Old Sponsors
Old 02-19-2009, 03:44 AM

Default Re: College student starting IRA

what is IRA?

Old 02-19-2009, 03:36 PM

Individual Retirement Account

Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 PM

What is a college studet worrying about retirement use your money for your education.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertD View Post
What is a college studet worrying about retirement use your money for your education.
I'm not "worried" about anything. I go to a state school that only costs $1500 a semester,most of which is covered by scholarships. I want to avoid paying income tax by throwing my money in to an IRA. I know nothing about IRAs, so I am asking here.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumdw View Post
I've been reading the forum, but have some questions. I am a college student that wants to start saving now. I started a small business last year. I don't make much money, but enough to save at least 1 or $2,000 a year. I have no interest in investing money in the stock market for the near future.

I think its time to start an IRA so that I have compounded a decent amount of interest down the road. My question is what company would you recomend fo starting my IRA? What interest rates are they offering if I don't touch the money until 65+?
Hi I have an answer to you questions..First you would like to know where would be a good place to start an IRA, I am invested with a company called keystone state capital and they allow you start an IRA with $5000.00 and to answer your next question they give you 16% on your investment which will double your money every 4.5 yrs. so if you don't retire till your 65 you will definently retire comfortable..If you have any questions you can post a response and I will see it I am on here every day and check responses at least 3 times a day. look them up when you get a chance keystonestatecapital.com

Old 02-20-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertD View Post
The earlier you save money, the less you'll have to worry about retiring with dignity. Are you a financial analyst, RobertD? Or an advisor? I would think that if you were, you'd recommend him saving that.

By the way, I find it very odd that someone can just tell you you'll be getting 16% with an IRA... you have to take into consideration the risk factor when investing into a plan like that. 16% is not bond or money market percentages, and he specifically said he did not want to invest into the stock market.

The only option I would throw on the table for you if you were my client would be a mutual fund IRA - you're young and it makes sense for you to be heavily invested into aggressive funds right now being the age you are.

Also, I'd say do a little bit of financial research as well - open your own portfolio and avoid paying any company a transaction or commission fee.

If a company offers you some ridiculous rate like 16% on an IRA without using some sort of stock market or mutual fund, be extremely weary.

By the way, look up the "Rule of 72". Get a better idea of how money works with interest rates.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:10 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. I also think the 16% return is unusual. Probably a very high risk plan. But I will look in to it and chat with some of my finance professors.

I use to have a stock portfolio in scottrade about 2 years ago. Thankfully, I was investing and selling over a year when stocks were steadily climbing.

Since my original post, the market has taken a decent hit. If the market takes more of a beating in the coming months, I'd be willing to heavily invest in stocks again through the IRA. Real estate and financials I want to stay away from for at least another year. It doesn't seem like anything can help in that area soon.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
My question is what company would you recommend for starting my IRA? What interest rates are they offering if I don't touch the money until 65+?

www.AvivaUSA.com

Their new Traditional FIXED IRA Annuity pays a 10% bonus on all new premium paid within the first two policy years and if you add the Income Account Rider the Income Account Value is GUARANTEED to increase by 7.2% per year.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND...the Income Account Value is NOT the same as the policy's account value or cash value. It is a mathematical formula the insurance company uses to determine your MAXIMUM lifetime income withdrawal based upon your attained age when you take the first withdrawal.

However, your beneficiaries can be paid the full value of the Income Account Value if taken over a five (5) year settlement option.