Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Debt

Debt Discussions about debt and how to deal with debt.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:14 AM

Default I didn't buy anything -but they want money!

I am hoping someone can help me with this issue. About six months ago I ordered two items from a clothing catalog. I had a credit account with them years ago and it was still active, so I went ahead and put it on the card. Well, the first item arrived and I didn't like it so I immediately sent it back. From the time I ordered it until the time they got the return was about 2 weeks. The second item I ordered was backordered until July.

The second item arrived in July and I didn't need it anymore so I immediately sent it back as well. Keep in mind I paid the return postage.

Well, the last week of October I got a statement in the mail from this company saying I owed almost $100! I called them and was sent directly to their collection department. I explained that I had sent the items back and that this was the first statement I had received. They looked up the history and said the first item was not credited back to my account until July - so that sat on the account for two months. Then I had been charged a $20 late fee every month.

I had NEVER received a statement until October. I had never even got a phone call or anything! I was the one who initially contacted them. Now they are calling me almost every day and harassing me to pay the $90. To top it off, they treat me like a liar every time I explain the situation.

Does anyone know what I can do? I did send them $25, and now they are acting like since I paid that I was acknowledging that I really did owe the money. It is so FRUSTRATING!! If I would have got a bill in June or July with the returned item showing as a charge I would have called then.

Sorry - I know this is rambling but I am not sure what my options are . . . .

Old Sponsors
Old 11-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: I didn't buy anything -but they want money!

Uptomyneck,

Obviously... the reason you are not paying is because of the principle of the situation. You ordered two items and you sent both back. You shouldn't have to pay anything period. However, the company you're dealing with is not going to make it that easy.

You have essentially two choices.

#1) Spend $90 and never deal with these people again. Even though you should not have to pay it the fact remains that these people are going to hound you until you get what you want or you do #2.

#2) Spend a LOT of TIME writing letters, making phone calls to the "Customer Service Department", Demanding a higher level of authority up to an including the CEO.
Each time you are put to collections... demand to speak with someone in management and ask for the $25 you did pay back immediately. Call the better business bureau and register your valid complaint.

To deal with this situation... you are going to have to spend one of your resources: Money or Time.

So, you can spend some money and make the whole thing go away... or you can spend some time with a new hobby fighting for what's right. It could be a few months before that get's resolved.

I know it's not fair... good people like you have to deal with crap like this sometimes when they order from TV or the internet and have to deal with a wide range of problems. Being billed twice, returns not refunded, and what you're going through are just some of them.

I'm not saying you have to accept the situation... but you should decide what's more important to you: Your money or your time?

Hope this helps...

Last edited by DavidBibby; 11-14-2010 at 11:00 AM.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:49 PM

I think I will take option #2. The thing about this is this is a reputable mail order clothing company. I finally got someone in the collections department to talk to me politely - instead of like I was a criminal! This person gave me a phone number to the actually company - not the collection agency. We will see how this works

Thanks for the advice!

Old 11-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome...

I wish you luck and that you get your $25 back too!

Go get 'em!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptomyneck View Post
I think I will take option #2. The thing about this is this is a reputable mail order clothing company. I finally got someone in the collections department to talk to me politely - instead of like I was a criminal! This person gave me a phone number to the actually company - not the collection agency. We will see how this works

Thanks for the advice!
If they are reputable they will resolve your situation sooner rather than later - once you get hold of the right person that is.