Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Credit Cards

Credit Cards Discuss credit cards - user experiences, credit card rates, and which companies offer the best credit card.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:48 PM

Default Chase & Debt Settlement Companies

I heard Chase is no longer working with debt settlement companies and are only willing to negotiate directly with their customers/debtors. Has anyone tried to use a debt settlement company with a chase credit card and can confirm/deny this?

Old Sponsors
Old 09-13-2010, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Chase & Debt Settlement Companies

Well never used chase but i think its better if they directly deal with their customers and its better on the customers part to maintain a healthy and regular communication with their providers.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:01 AM

This is definite news to me but not at all surprising. Chase was hard to deal with personally and gets low scores from some credit card watchdogs. I have 3 cards from Chase all having just been paid off with the help of American Consumer Credit Counseling. But that program started four years ago and many things have changed due to America's hard economic times. I hope you'll be able to transfer or otherwise get out from under Chase's yolk, but I'm not giving advice; I'm not qualified. Good Luck.

Last edited by iZoe; 02-13-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:22 PM

For years Chase has been one of the most reasonable banks to deal with in terms of working with debt settlement companies. I haven't heard anything about a policy change at Chase. However, banks are free to change their policies in this regard whenever they please. Citibank has been flip-flopping on this for nearly a decade.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:23 AM

Yes, chase has been quite consistent in that respect. I won't even compare citibank in those terms.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:28 PM

Capital One, Discover are two others that are notorious for not working with debt settlement organizations. Dealing with debt like that is like trying to pick a broken nose, it's painful, I would try credit counseling before you try anything else.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:04 PM

Why would you need a debt settlement company, what can they do that you can't with a lot of hard work without the expense of using a company that will do it for you?

Old 05-13-2011, 02:48 AM

These companies deal with a lot of similar clients everyday, and hence the professionals are equipped to deal with the regular queries. The creditors and collection agencies are also convinced that once you've enrolled with a professional service you must be serious about sticking to your repayment terms.