Go Back   The Finance Forums > General Forums > General Chat

General Chat General chat and discussion away from the finance topics.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:42 AM

Default career advice in finance and banking?

So I'm graduating from Helsinki School of Economics with two MSc degrees, in economics and in finance. I would be interested in working in the USA in the banking and finance field. It would be extremely helpful if people who have experience could give me some advice, for example what would my chances be? what would be the appropriate salary? and what would be the smartest jobs? I'm very interested in IB and economists jobs.

I'm planning to move to NY.

Thanks.

Old Sponsors
Old 12-13-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Re: career advice in finance and banking?

Starting salaries in Investment Banking positions with a bachelors degree after bonus (assistant or junior analyst position) range from $25,000 to $50,000.

Which brings me to the story of a former associate of mine.....

The guy was going to college full time to become an International/Investment Banker and was selling life and health insurance "part-time" to Mom and Pops across the kitchen table to pay for college.
After his college graduation he seeks out International/Investment Banker positions only to find out he's currently making more money selling insurance "part-time" than he would be making full time with his degrees in economics and finance. So......he opened his own agency and is still in the business.

I have a brand new agent in my office with a two year Associate of Arts degree from St. Petersburg College who if annualized out and if he didn't have to split first year commission for his training would have earned $81,600 in his very first year in the insurance business. He has only worked the last five months of this year full time and still earned in his pocket about $34,000.

So my advice to you would be....

You have to make a decision if you want your freedom, independence and unlimited earnings potential or do you want to participate in the ever relentless corporate structure shackeled with golden handcuffs?

Old 01-31-2008, 04:31 PM
The Finance Forums

Default Re: career advice in finance and banking?

they are a lot more than 25-50k probably 100k+