Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Debt

Debt Discussions about debt and how to deal with debt.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:02 PM

Default advice desperatly needed

Hi all,

Firstly can I apologise as this is a UK based request for advice as not sure if its really aimed at USA or just general.

The basics of my sitution is that last april I lost my job where I had been for 8 1/2 years, I tried to set up as self employed but was unable to find any regular work. Shortly after loosing my job my wife annouced that she was leaving me and tking our daughter with her to be with another man. As a result we sold the fmily house but due to large debts etc I ended up with virtually no money left. I had paid off as much debt s I could but found some debts I could not fford to repay in full and one I was unble to pay anything off from. Due to the situation of having nowhere to live and being unemployed I decided to move to france to try to find work. A friend lent me use of a house in france for a short while but not long enough to find work etc. I have tried to remain in contact with my creditors but it has now reached a point where they are threatening court action against me. I know that this is in my best interest in many ways but I have a problem. I am now going to be homeless within the next week or so and realise that unless I have a address then I cant get paperwork from the courts to reply in the hope of getting my debts written off. I have no means to be able to pay my debts (about 3000). I now feel at the lowest I have ever done in my life an am so worried about what to do. I only have enough money to last about 6 weeks to be able to buy food etc, after this time I have no idea what to do or how I will survive. I have eplained all this to my creditors but they just want their money and will not accept that I dont have an address that I can use. I now feel constantly worried about this and it is affecting me badly. I would really apprecite any help/advice on what I can do. I do not want to hide from my responsibilities but have no idea what I can do to address things. I cant even afford to go bankrupt as what little money I had I used to get to france to find work instead of trying to claim money of the state to live in a country I had been unble to find work in in almost a year.

Old Sponsors
Old 04-04-2011, 02:58 PM

Default Re: advice desperatly needed

My advice would be to please go back to your country. Find a job since you have 81/2 years experience. Talk to a lawyer, get advice from him. Take a consultants advice to solve your debt issue. Do hot hesitate to take every step forward to find a job, then get a home on rent and try to pay your debts.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:22 PM

you must find a job and start saving .. in that way, you can counter it..

Old 06-24-2011, 07:20 AM

I'm so sorry to hear your story, that is one of the saddest tales I've heard in a long time so don't know what else to say really there but in regards to your creditors and debt, I would forget it for now and focus on getting yourself back on track living and job wise. I'm in the UK too so know the system.

Your creditors are unlikely to make you bankrupt as you don't have any assets. They will no doubt put defaults and ccjs on your record but I presume that your credit file has already gone and that it is the last of your worries.

If possible try pay them £1 per month maybe with the help of the citizens advice bureau but if this is not possible then just focus on getting yourself sorted and then perhaps look at bankruptcy when you are in a better position.

I sincerely hope things get better for you.
All the best
Becks x

Old 08-03-2011, 01:21 AM
The Finance Forums

I was in your situation once my friend. I called a friend of mine for help.
He advised me to first find a home.
Don't be scared. The creditors want you to be working otherwise they don't get a shit. If they threaten you just tell them to quit pushing you or they won't get anything. It seems this is your first burden.

I hope your ex lets you see your daughter. If not follow this advise. Pretend you don't care about your daughter until your ex looks for you.

Remember, they want your money and your daughter too when she grows up.

Your main concern is for you to survive. Get everybody off your back then look for a place to live and a job. Then save money .

Sorry to hear this. I went through it. You sound good.