Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Debt

Debt Discussions about debt and how to deal with debt.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Default When you owe a PERSON money

Friends,

When I talk to people about debt elimination.. I often ask them if they owe any money to their co-workers, family, or friends.

Often, then tell me.. "Yeah.. I owe so-and-so about $100, but that's okay because he's not charging me any interest and he doesn't care when he gets paid back!"

Because of this type of attitude.. their family and friends are put LAST on the list of people to get paid back.

Seems a little backward doesn't it?

These folks would rather pay a faceless corporation first before they pay the PEOPLE in their life. This doesn't bode well for those other people in your life.

If you owe Grandma $500, but then you're showing off your new iPad...you make not see it, but you'll feel her eyes burning through you!

Your loved ones are important... and as such.. they should be the FIRST people you should pay back if you owe them anything.

So if you owe your Grandma, Joe Coworker, and your brother too... Call them up on the phone or write them a letter and SNAIL MAIL it.

Tell them that you're sorry for making them wait for so long.. but you are going to be paying them soon and that you've put them as the top priority.

Pay the minimums on all your other bills, and take care of paying back the PEOPLE in your life!

Your thoughts?

Old Sponsors
Old 10-10-2010, 12:17 AM

Default Re: When you owe a PERSON money

Excellent advice! thanks davidbibby

Old 10-25-2010, 07:06 PM

But really there is no one to turn to or can understood my situation than my family members and closed friend's. I wanted to pay them back but really no solution at present so I prefer them last as I will not faced legal action.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:24 AM

No a person can not file a judgment or a lien against you!!!! unless you signed an agreement that you would pay them back in a certain time or etc. if not then your free and their just retarded! because a judge would never wast his time with an argument of "he owes me she owes me".. BECAUSE anyone can say that the J.Lo (or someone famous) owes them money but there's no proof!!

Old 10-27-2010, 04:03 PM

I have two rules about lending/borrowing money from family and friends. One rule for each side of the table so to speak.
1. If I ever lend money to a family member or friend I do it with the complete willingness to forgive the loan at any time. I don't want that loan to be a source of contention and ruin the relationship. If I can't afford to make a loan and forgive it if needed, then I can't afford to make the loan at all.
2. If I ever borrow money from a family member or friend they are my first priority to pay right after covering a roof over my head and food on the table.