Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Debt

Debt Discussions about debt and how to deal with debt.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:58 AM

Default Paying Off Debt

Many many people have debt these days. I used to have over $8,000 worth of credit card debt. Yikes!! I paid it off by attacking the highest interest rate card first and only paying the minimum on the others. When that one was paid down, I closed it instantly and moved on to the next highest rate card. Every spare dollar was put toward paying off the cards. Debt is awful and you should strive to get out of it as quickly as possible.

Old Sponsors
Old 05-11-2006, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Paying Off Debt

YOu got that one right! It is tough and unless you attack it methodically ...just chipping away at it ...it just gets worse. I think so many people become overwhelmed just thinking about it that they can't buckle down and address it.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:18 AM
Administrator

I grew up with parents who were firmly caught in the debt trap - when you're a kid and see you mother crying because we couldn't afford 5 pieces of chicken for tea, just 4, it leaves an impression.

I've made a point of trying to avoid debt as much as possible since - I have a loan, but no HP, and my credit card is paid off fully every month. I guess you could say that debt frightens me, more so perhaps because running an internet business means my income is never assured.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:56 AM

I'm currently fighting off debt by putting money aside to pay off my current credit cards and not puting any more purchases on them. Sometimes the temptation to buy one last treat (or necessaity!) can be really strong but I think when it comes to managing your debt you need to be really disciplined about your spending, and plan how to pay off what you can in a managed time frame.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:44 PM

I'm the same way, Finance Adminstrator. I hate debt and only occasionaly don't pay of my credit card in full. But if you do find yourself in debt, Janine is correct. You just have to come up with a plan and stay disciplined. Sort of like dieting.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:51 PM

Cut up your credit cards. You can't use them if you don't have them. Then start paying them off one at a time. Pay extra on the smallest balance until it's paid off and then work your way up the ladder. Cancel the cards after you pay them off. There is really no need to have more than one credit card. You don't need any until you can discipline yourself to pay it off each month before interest is occured.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:28 AM

Absolutely pay them off. There are two bits of advice here 1) pay off the high interest cards first, 2) pay off the lowest amount first. Which one is best? The one that works for you. I personally worked toward the lowest amount debt first simply because it gives a boost of encouragement sooner as you work to pay down any outstanding debt.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:00 PM

I totally agree about the motivation of paying off the lower amounts first. You might also see about consolidating if you have lots of high interest rates. If you decide to go with a consolidation company, check them out closely. Some of them are scams. You can consolidate yourself or work out better interest rates. Call your credit card companies and try to speak with a supervisor. Ask them if they will lower your rate. They could say no, but then they could say yes.

What ever else you do, don't miss a payment!!!!

Old 06-15-2006, 10:30 PM

Me too. I hate debt and pay cash for everything. A few years ago I had a large medical bill that I had to pay by credit card. I used to transfer money to lower interest rate cards--but you have to be acreful with this trick.

Old 06-16-2006, 02:05 AM

I agree
I also have about that amount owing on credit cards, with a very high interest rate.
I used to try and save money, but now instead of saving I pay the credit card, I figure off I am better off doing that in the long run and I can save later.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:10 PM

I applaud everyone who takes the necessary steps to pay off credit card debt. I too eliminated about $25,000 in credit card debt over one and a half years by attacking my debt and cutting every corner I could. It can be hard to stay disciplined and not give in, but the reward is worth it.

Old Sponsors
Old 06-29-2006, 03:28 PM

I love reading success stories like this. It reminds me a bit of the Nike commercial - JUST DO IT!

Old 02-22-2007, 02:51 PM

It sounds really great to pay off all your credit cards. I am trying really hard to pay off all mine. But it seems like it is going to take forever. I will be so glad when they are all paid off.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:49 AM

You will get there risky. I have two paid off already this year. I am starting on the next one now.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:36 AM

Well thank you for your support. It really helps to know it can be done. Keep up the good work and I will try to do the same.