The Finance Forums

The Finance Forums (http://www.thefinanceforums.com/index.php)
-   Credit Cards (http://www.thefinanceforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   $15000 credit cards debt what do i do (http://www.thefinanceforums.com/showthread.php?t=1212)

Mahaon 11-21-2007 10:20 AM

$15000 credit cards debt what do i do

help!!! ive got so much on my credit cards, what do i do to get them paid off?!?

brian 11-23-2007 02:55 AM

Re: $15000 credit cards debt what do i do

1. Stop using them
2. Stop overspending
3. Use money you can save from not overspending to pay them off

If possible, also look to see if you can consolidate them into a single card with a 0% interest rate on transfers, to give you a little breathing space away from interest payments while you pay them off.

I hope that helps for starters. :)

Mynion 11-27-2007 12:03 PM

Sounds like a plan to me!

The only thing I'd add is to NOT cancel the credit card. Not only can this have ramifications on your credit reports, but the heart of the problem is really your behavior. Changing your behavior takes dedication to resolving this challenge and creating new behaviors which are healthy for your lifestyle and your finances.

A friend of mine, instead of cancelling the credit card, actually froze hers in a bread-pan size block of ice. In an emergency, she knew she could get to it, but the work of breaking up the ice to get to it deterred her from spending unnecessarily. I told her this wouldn't work for me because I have my credit card numbers memorized. ;)

kjb516 09-16-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mynion (Post 5332)
A friend of mine, instead of cancelling the credit card, actually froze hers in a bread-pan size block of ice. In an emergency, she knew she could get to it, but the work of breaking up the ice to get to it deterred her from spending unnecessarily. I told her this wouldn't work for me because I have my credit card numbers memorized. ;)

:D I'd heard about the "on ice" technique a few years back, but it would not have worked for me back then since my wife (now ex-wife) had the credit card numbers memorized. I just had a mental image of her microwaving the ice block. That might have taken care of the "issue" as well.

scarlet 09-25-2008 06:42 PM

If you can, pick up a second job to help you pay down your debt.

in2dwww 09-26-2008 12:43 AM

You should immediately close your accounts (all but 2). Then you need to make your payments - not ON TIME, but EARLY. The sooner they get a payment, the less interest you pay on your balances. Hopefully you have the ability to pay without getting whacked with a high interest late on late payments.

I know people with 7 cards - and they're all maxed out. Limits are all around $10k each.

Christmas is going to suck for them.

in2dwww 09-26-2008 12:45 AM

I forgot to mention...

On the two accounts you do keep open, make sure to pay off more than the minimum, so you can at least have a few hundred dollars to use on those cards for a REAL EMERGENCY.

I have done this for a few years now and it's saved my butt.

rogerthert 10-29-2008 07:32 PM

Make a budget, Use excel and map out every dime you have to spend in bills, and plan out groceries, and gas. Also, if you can add a little fun money. Give yourself options. Remember you have to ask yourself, "How soon do I want this paid off?" Do an option one with less fun money, but a quicker pay off. Do an option two with more fun money, but a longer pay off, and see what you like better. And i mention excel because you can print this out, and it makes it easier to follow when it's all written in front of you. I put my chart on the refrigerator, and I do this monthly. I make my budgets 12 months at a time.

Another thing to try is balance transfer. If you have OK credit, transfer onto a card with a 0% intro rate to save on interest, and when the intro rate expires, transfer onto another 0% intro rate card. If you're decent credit wise it's worth a shot! I have terrible credit and I still can get accepted for 0% intro periods.

Refinance and take out a home equity loan, if you're a home owner.

Seek a personal loan. You may save on interest, and pay 1 bill instead of multiple.

Hope this helps!

saros 10-29-2008 10:47 PM

What are the interest rates on your cards? If they are exhorbantly high you may want to look at debt management solutions. (IE companies that sell with credit card companies for lower interest rate)

But I would definitely avoid that option if possible. Careful spending and budget planning can usually fix your problem if you have sufficient income.

rogerthert 10-29-2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saros (Post 9539)
What are the interest rates on your cards? If they are exhorbantly high you may want to look at debt management solutions. (IE companies that sell with credit card companies for lower interest rate)

But I would definitely avoid that option if possible. Careful spending and budget planning can usually fix your problem if you have sufficient income.

Arent debt management companies just about as bad as going bankrupt?

LifeisGood 11-11-2008 12:04 PM

Stop using the card, make payment to the credit card as much as you can.

shonna27 02-02-2009 10:45 AM

I personally went through a debt settlement company that negotiated my debts down. It worked really well for me. 17,000 reduced to around 8,000. but if you are comfortably paying your cards still its better you pay them off on your own, but if you cant pay them anymore this works well

WJTrader 02-11-2009 04:01 PM

I think to control your credit debt now is simple.

- Stop spending
- Note all your incoming/outcoming finances
- Find other means of earning extra income

If you follow these simple steps, your debt wont be a problem.

AJorge 02-19-2009 06:44 PM

I have a good friend who owns a company that will negotiate your debt for a small %. If you only have $15K that's not bad. The average amount of unsecured debt a person will have that calls him is $40K. you may look into an option like that. His company will negotiate your total debt down to 50% most scenarios. I don't know the exact website, but if you google LibertyFinancialManagement it should come up. great guy to work with, very intelligent an good at what he does. hope this helps

RobertD 02-19-2009 08:04 PM

I know it feels like a lot right now but you are not in to bad a shape yet. My wife and I where in the hole for over $50,000.

You need to tighten your belt and set yourself up with a good personal budget.

Realizing you have a problem was the first step the rest are easier.